tires rubbing on the inside at full lock

whitewatersky

this may be a really stupid thing to bring up, but my tires are rubbing on the inside when I turn at full lock.

i suppose the tires are too wide.

i will have to sort this out for registration. can anyone recommend the best way to tackle this without getting new tires?

is there a way to restrict the angle to which i can turn the wheel?

i won't do the work myself, but i'd like to advise the mechanic who will do it.

has anyone had to tackle this issue?

Guest 60electra225

Fairly common problem as most original tires were bias ply so the profile was different. Only real choice you have is to put a spacer between the hub and the wheel. I prefer to leave mine as it is and exercise caution when turning on full lock.

I did originally have 235 tires, but changing them to 225 helped.

Andrew,

When I drove the car here in KC, there was no rub during normal driving around town or when it was driven to and from the parking area. As previously said, this is a common problem and one that you should never encounter in day to day driving. When you have to purchase new tires, 215/75R15 are about the smallest you'd want to run. I think most guys run 225/70R15 tires for the look and feel, and never get into situations where they encounter the rub. Spacers are optional but you lose registering the wheel to the hub if you go that route.

Ed

Guest 60electra225

If they make you fit spacers (I don't think they will), and you need to buy some, I know someone in Sydney that has multi fit ones - you might just need to enlarge the hub area on the spacer to fit over the very large Buick hubs.

Guest carlbraun

Andrew

any update on the tire-rub situation?

I bought my 65 Riv with big 235 75 15 radials and you can see where the tires rubbed on the frame. I'll probably run these radials for a while but may want to go back to the original bias tires for show and cruise night duty.

I picked up an H70-15 "white line" tire that has a 3/8" white wall...pretty cool looking on the car...a real flashback. I bought the tire from a guy that said it had never been mounted. It has a date code of 19th week of 1972...still has the little rubber nubbies on the tire. I'll use it as a pretty spare tire in the trunk but not so sure I'd want to take the thing up to 100mph (thats 160 KPH to u) as that could result in one of those spectacular MAD MAX car crashes