What is it?

Guest mikett

This is a family photo and we're trying to identify it for inclusion in an upcoming book to be published in California. Photo dates from 1919, but we have no idea of what the car is.

post-79377-143138677224_thumb.jpg

Guest Al Brass

To me, it looks like a Baby Buick, '17 or '18. It has the correct drown in the fenders and the hubcaps look right. The radiator doesn't look quite right though but it might be the photo??

(Is it me or are the hood louvres angled? I think the 4cyl Buicks had vertcal louvres.)

Al

Edited by Al Brass (see edit history)

I first thought the hood louvres looked angled but I figured it was distortion in the photo. I was swayed in my decision by the look of the hubcaps which look Buick.

Interestingly the profile of the rear fender where it curves from the running board upwards is unlike that of the roadsters and coupes and is more like that seen on the four door cars - both sedans and tourers.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Leif, you may be right. It just didn't tick enough boxes to be a Buick. Another point against Buick was that there should have been a hood latch visible behind the rearmost louvre.

The fact that the lower edge of the windshield is a straight line means it is a 1918-19 Oakland Model 34-B. All of the earlier ones had a curve there. I note it has the windshield vertical which suggests it is early in the run and they were given a slope later on in the season. 1918 Oakland 34 for sale - Classic car ad from CollectionCar.com.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest Al Brass

While looking at the original photo again the hood has too many louvres for a Buick. I think someone mentioned that there were problems with the catch position.

Al

• 2 weeks later...