Early metallic paint question

sftamx1

What year did metallic or"poly" paints come into use? I ask because my 1933 Essex Terraplane calls for the 16" wire spoke wheels to be painted Velchrome, I think that's close to argent silver, which would be metallic. Would there be a metallic silver that early, and if so, is there a modern equivalent to the proper color? Thanks in advance!

Scott

supposedly a breakdown of pigment mill balls accidentally created the first metallic - I think 1931 but would have to check. Early metallics use very small flakes, uncoated

1927. General Motors. Cadillac specifically. As mentioned by bkazmer, it was invented by accident. Any metallics used in the late 1920s through the 1940s should be so small that you'd practically need a magnifying glass to see them. A friend takes modern metallic paints and syphons out the large flakes. Too many cars are restored without taking out the large flakes. I saw one car recently (from 1934) that actually looked like it was painted in a bass boat factory.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

the flakes are added with the pigment, and are available in different sizes. So instead of filtering them out, you can specify the finer flake in the first place. This does impact the apparent color when you change flake size. Avoid the large flakes, color coated flakes, or especially prismatic and Xirillic effects if you want the color to look right. (Those last two give the "bass boat" change with angle/lighting)

Color "computers" (actually a spectrophotometer plus a computer) do not match flake effects!!

If you are trying to match the old fish scale (actually what was used) effect, I think a pearl (mica) would come closer than metallic.

The prewar metallics were formulated for more of a sheen or iridescence, not for glitter.

Guest De Soto Frank

Chrysler Corp had a limited selection of "Sympho-Chromatic" paints by the early 1940's... as bkazmer mentioned, they were more iridescent ("pearlescent") than "glittery"...

Graham-Paige offered "pearl essence lacquer" in the second half of 1932. Even in 1932 the paint companies did not offer color chips because they were "impractical to match".

Graham had Cor Cor build toy 20 inch long model Graham cars that were painted the pearl essence lacquer colors and sent to the dealerships for color samples.

The 1932 Graham Blue Streak was the official car for the Indianapolus 500 that year. The car that was painted "pearl essence" Avon Blue and was said to be "easily visible anywhere around the track because of the color". Unfortunately there are no known remaining original examples.

Thanks, great info here.I've also seen the term "Opalescence" applied to early metallic paints.

Anyway, since silver aluminum existed back in the early '30's, i will just use the finest metallic to duplicate what is called "Velchrome", or a satin aluminum.Hudson also painted the grille itself (not the shell) with this satin silver. (See original paint in my car's grille)

Graham man, if you look under "Barn Finds" that is the only pic I have of my Essex-Terraplane, It will soon be removed from it's very long hibernation, and I will get some more pics then. I have a mutual admiration for the Grahams, I LOVE the "blue streak"styling...My dream garage contains a 1934 Graham Convt Coupe with the Supercharged straight 8, and a

'33 Essex Terraplane 8 cylinder Convt Coupe, and for special occasions when it is a bit cooler outside, how about a 1933 Hudson Major 8 Close coupled Brougham (none are known to exist!) Oh well, it's fun to dream.....

Picture063.jpg

Edited by sftamx1 (see edit history)
  • Like 1