1934 Club Sedan

jvsb

I am looking at a 1934 Club Sedan that had a complete restoration about 4 years ago. It has won a first and 3 seconds in closed car contests. I have seen about 30 pix and it seems to be essentially in perfect condition. The asking price is about $76800. Does this seem in the ballpark for price? Thanks.

Is it a Super Eight or a Standard Eight? Big difference in price there. What kind of shows was it judged at? CCCA, AACA, or Packard Club.......or the local shopping mall cruise in? Ask who did the engine, then contact that person and find out exactly what they did. Rings and a valve job, or a complete rebuild? Pictures would help. Proper color? Authentic interior?

Is it a Super Eight or a Standard Eight? Big difference in price there. What kind of shows was it judged at? CCCA, AACA, or Packard Club.......or the local shopping mall cruise in? Ask who did the engine, then contact that person and find out exactly what they did. Rings and a valve job, or a complete rebuild? Pictures would help. Proper color? Authentic interior?

It is a Standard. One of the shows was a Packard Show. One was a Los Angeles concourse where it came in 2nd to another car that finished very well at Pebble Beach. None of the shows was a "local shopping mall". I think they were all CCCA sanctioned. As far as I know the engine was a complete rebuild. I can send pix but would prefer to send them privately. thanks. jvsb

Any 34 is an expensive car to restore and the 32 - 34s are in general the more valuable cars. It probably cost more than that to restore it, if it was professionally done it cost a good deal more. Just the plating alone could run $50K, interior 25K, engine 15 - 20, chassis, trans, brakes etc, not to mention paint and body. Just buying the materials for a good paint job on a body off restoration will probably be around 8 - 10K. Things like glass and channel, window regulators, wood graining, gauges etc all add up. Without seeing photos of the car and knowing who restored it and what they did, it is hard to say if that is the right price. And, it is true, color and correct upholstery make a huge difference in value. A lot of time, I can look at a few photos of a car and tell if someone who knew what they are doing restored it. A look under the hood can tell you a lot.

That all said, 77K isn't what I would call cheap for a Std 8 closed car, so you should have someone who knows them look at it with you. Dave packard12s@hotmail.com

That seems pricey for a non- super 8. If it has a CCCA Senior badge that would figure into price. Complete rebuild on engine is meaningless unless you have receipts and documentation, and even then, rebuild on an eight is not that expensive.

My advice is to be very careful, and know what you're contemplating....these days 80 large or so is a competitive price on a variety of nice Classics....

I agree that it seems a little steep. I recently met with a gentleman who just bought a '34 Super 8 club sedan with AACA and CCCA first place badges from the early 2000s, and that's about what he paid for it. I would still call his a 2+ or even a 1-, it was extremely nice and correctly done. A Standard 8 sedan really shouldn't be more than $50K, no matter how much was poured into the restoration. As we all know, it's always cheaper to buy someone else's complete car than to restore it yourself.

Well, if you limit any Standard 8 sedan to 50K, not a single one would ever be restored. I like sedans myself, and although the 34 is not my favorite, but most people like the 34s the best, so if a sedan is worth restoring, it would surely be a 34 club sedan. It is a good looking car and surely a pretty nice car to drive. If another one sold for about the same money, doesn't that validate the price somewhat?

Interesting. Two cars on my short list as possible next Packards would be a '32 - 34 club or '38 Super 8.

My friend and fellow poster Tom Laferriere sold two '33 - '34 clubs in the last couple years, a very nice largely original "known" - at least here in NE, 33 Super 8 that went for a good bit more than $50K and a '34 club with a "driver" type restoration for a bit less than $50K last year that I believe was a standard 8. If your potential car is of high quality the initial price may seem a bit on the high side but if seller is realistic, he is expecting to negotiate and you have to start somewhere. Is mid 60s for a top notch car fair, seems like it could be.

I would say the '33 Super 8 was one of the nicest cars I have ever driven, smooth , powerful and not "trucky" as I know some of the earlier cars can be.

Good luck with your purchase!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would let you know that the car sold for its asking price. I didn't buy it but it was a very nice car. I have some regrets but having just started with this Packard obsession I was not quite ready. thanks for your input.

I have a '34 Twelve 5-passenger sedan coming up in the next two weeks or so. I haven't photographed it or talked in depth with the owner about pricing, but if you have interest in it, drop me an E-mail and I'll make sure you're the first to hear about it before we put it on the market. Older restoration but still very nice, not quite silver, not quite dark gray but somewhere in between. Sidemounts with full metal covers, of course. It will be more than a Standard 8 sedan, but probably not a lot more.