Selling a large collection...help!

Guest backyardbetty

Guest backyardbetty

I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting an elderly gentleman with a collection of 40 antique automobiles that span the late 1920's to the late 1960's. All have been garage kept, maintained and driven at least periodically.

I have agreed to help him sell the collection and he would like to have them all go together to a collector or dealer to "Have the cut be quick and clean instead of prolonged". Can anyone point me in the right direction of who to approach? We are in the southeast so any dealer located in that general area would at least be able to come look at the collection.

He is a bit unrealistic on some of his pricing because, of course, he remembers the story and circumstances behind every acquisition and he has loved them all for a long time but he is enough of a businessman to see sense when shown where the market is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He may be able to find a dealer to sell them individually for him for a percentage of the sale price but selling all of them together is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible, especially if he's "a bit unrealistic on some of his pricing." The only place I know of that may be interested in selling his collection would be the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, Illinois, which isn't exactly in the southeast. Good luck....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

There are a number of dealers and even auction houses that will buy a collection at wholesale. The operative word is "wholesale". Also, the collection needs to have some decent cars. A lot of 50s and 60s sedans and it will be tough. One thing I was wondering, how does somebody regularly exercise each car in a collection that large?

I'm interested in the 40 cars you have for sale; however, the first thing I need to know is the make, model, year, condition, titled, etc. of each vehicle. I also want to see pictures of each car, i.e. Outside - front, rear, and each side, frame and under side, engine, trunk (opened), and the interior of each vehicle.

I look forward to receiving this information. Thank you!

There are tons of "fishing" or trolling posts on this site where the original poster provides few if any details and never pictures. Generally, people fall all over themselves trying to be helpful (which is a credit to their souls). Sometimes, the original poster just isn't up to internet speed but mostly I find them annoying. If people can't provide some pictures and details we should not bother with responses.

This thread is a classic example of a troll post.

I have PM'd her & we have traded a few emails. She said it would be a couple weeks to assemble a list with price, description, condition, & photos.

There was a '59 Buick for sale a while ago on here. Same car as my uncle's. It was an estate & the poster had to get things in the estate organized. Even posted pix. I wanted to buy it as seen in the pix. Haven't heard back in 2 or 3 months.

On the other hand, I posted quite a ways back about someone I ran into that was selling some of his cars (early Fords). In talking with him, he stated that he had others he'd sell if the price was right. One was a Duesenberg. I posted asking if it was ok to get a finder's fee if I could connect a prospective buyer to the seller. From the answers I got, I can see where a newbie would get the impression that there are a bunch of wiseass, sarcastic a--holes on this sight. If you don't believe me, go back & read the posts about the Buick that Lebowski posted 3 or so months ago. I realize that a site like this has some genuine experts & authorities on certain cars, but they may not be & probably aren't experts on EVERY car. To you REAL experts, I apologize if you take offense at my post. To the others who have a little knowledge & THINK they are experts, lighten up. You may be scaring away someone who just may have a little interest in preserving & enjoying these cars.

Guest EricVitale
I have had the absolute pleasure of meeting an elderly gentleman with a collection of 40 antique automobiles that span the late 1920's to the late 1960's. All have been garage kept, maintained and driven at least periodically.

I have agreed to help him sell the collection and he would like to have them all go together to a collector or dealer to "Have the cut be quick and clean instead of prolonged". Can anyone point me in the right direction of who to approach? We are in the southeast so any dealer located in that general area would at least be able to come look at the collection.

He is a bit unrealistic on some of his pricing because, of course, he remembers the story and circumstances behind every acquisition and he has loved them all for a long time but he is enough of a businessman to see sense when shown where the market is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would be interested in the whole collection please E-Mail me and let me know. I live in the northeast and can fly in right away.Thank you, Eric Vitale Horsemann81@aol.com

Guest cardinal905

You get em Girl, at the risk of being yelled at for asking a non-car question---what type airplane do you have? (the rare one) I suspect I have seen it at OSH !

Well Betty, having lived in Hartsville for many years and had dinner on occasion in Red Boiling we may have run into each other. Like some of the others I might be interested in a large collection but the value could vary greatly depending on if you have a lot of early Senior model Packards (my particular favorite), Chevys, Fords, Hudsons, or if you have a lot of 50 and 50 models. A 39 Model 1272 Packard I'm obtaining is probably worth 4 times what my 36 Standard Chevy Coach is worth. It all depends on the rarity and model of car and the passion of the individual. Otherwise you send the cars to an auction house for sell. I don't know his financial situation but I would think that he would realize a higher total yield from his cars if sold individually than as a group PLUS, he would have the satisfaction of knowing that each car went to a collector that would care for it as it was and not turn it into a different car. I frequently buy cars from people who are willing to sell to me because they know I will restore the car and maintain it in its original condition. There is something to be said for that satisfaction. Gene

• 2 weeks later...

Oldcarbetty

I think this might be more in line of what you are looking for.

Contact Stewart Dudley at Old Car Heaven in Birmingham, Al.

He has the pockets and the interest in all or at least a portion of the collection.

ALK

• 2 months later...

If you have 40 cars,,,,and shew each car 5 times,,,that's 200 shewings,,,and youll need space around to display each car,,,sell 10 cars,,gain space to deal with the remainder,,Prolly about a year or so,,

Alternate plan ,,we don't know what cars/years you have,,,different Auction companys have a different clientel,, but auction company would be least hassle,,,and will like titles for the cars in hand at time of auction,,,

Good luck,,,Ben

Betty,

Loved your post & all your responses to all the members who have

criticized you. I agree & support you 100% & understand what you set out to do.

I will send you a PM of a list of reputable dealers I personally know who can stroke a check for the entire collection if they have interest.

Stuart