Need ID plate info

trp3141592

Hi,

This is for anyone who may be able to help.

When I bought my 1937 Roadmaster back in the last millennium, I found that the firewall Identification Number Plate had not been re-installed by the previous owner and is lost to all time. The paperwork and title that I received with the car included the engine number 3005953, but offered no other identifying vehice information. I was able to get the car through inspection, and I got a clean title, on the basis of the engine number matching the paper work.

I am now going to make and install a firewall ID plate, but I need the information that goes on it. The car is a 1937 Roadmaster trunk-back 4-door sedan with dual sidemounts and Valcour Green paint. It was equipped with radio, heater, and single carburetor.

Any information that should be on the ID plate would be welcome, particularly the vehicle serial number if available from the engine number info.

Thanks !!

--Tom

Guest Grant Magrath

On the 38 sedan, there's a serial number on a plate on the right hand floor. Maybe have a look there? But the 38 is a locally assembled one, so may be different. How difficult would it be to flatten out one and re-stamp the numbers? Or is that what you are going to do when you say make one?

Cheers

Grant

Vehicle ID # is located on a plate attached on the side of the frame rail and visible under the right side fender behind the tire. Cocking the wheels to the left may help you see it better. I had to do a rubbing to match it with the title info on my 40C. Your car appears to be a Model 81, Fisher Style 37-4819. Don't know of a Valcour Green available on 37's. Balmoral Green or Coronary Green. The plate may have had a non matching number 6 stamped on the lower right hand corner indicating six wheel equipped. Hope some others can fill in some more info.

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll look at the frame rail and see what it tells me.

I stand corrected on the color--it is "Coronary Green." The color I named was a pre-war Cadillac color, and may not have even been green at all--I seem to recall it might have been burgandy. This ancient mind loses one old fact for every new fact that comes in, and I just can't stop learning new stuff.

--Tom