Personalized Identification Plate

steelman

In looking through my original paperwork to research another thread, I came across the original complete Personalized Identification Plate application. I always wondered why my car didn't have any evidence of ever having one of these, now I know why. It was never sent back in. I have attached the scans here.

What I found most interesting about this was the use of the stylized Riviera symbol. As mentioned in several threads, this emblem doesn't appear anywhere on the 1963 Riviera. Even the original owners manual doesn't have this symbol on it anywhere. This car was sold on Feb. 20, 1963, so still about six months prior to the premier of the 1964 which uses this symbol everywhere.

post-53315-143138629027_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138629039_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad

Always interesting to find new details about your cars past.... I found the personal plate for my car under the back seat when I restored the interior, it was nice to learn the original owners name first hand...

[snip...]

What I found most interesting about this was the use of the stylized Riviera symbol. As mentioned in several threads, this emblem doesn't appear anywhere on the 1963 Riviera. Even the original owners manual doesn't have this symbol on it anywhere. This car was sold on Feb. 20, 1963, so still about six months prior to the premier of the 1964 which uses this symbol everywhere.

Thanks for the scans. My original owner sent my card in; I have the plate.

Which stylized Riviera symbol are you referring to, Steve? The script with the big R? Or the R inside the oval with aline through it?

After looking at this last post, I dug out some of my original stuff just to look it over. I found something that I didn't realize I had. I have the same information from other places but it might do well for eveyone who has their original owner's manual to look at the last page. Car and dealer info all typed up nice and pretty. The VIN with the engine code as well as the dealership informatioin was all typed in then signed by someone at the dealership. In my case it was a Mike Murphy who was an employee at Pat Murphy Buick. Maybe this infor is there for the guys trying to create a window sticker.

Ed

You are so right, Ed! I just looked in the back of my Owner's Manual and it is all there. the original owner's address, the address of the dealership, the dealer code...

But no signature... they typed the dealer name there again.

Edited by Jim_Cannon (see edit history)

Which stylized Riviera symbol are you referring to, Steve? The script with the big R? Or the R inside the oval with aline through it?

The big R inside the oval with a line through it. Didn't think this symbol appeared on anything until 1964?

You are so right, Ed! I just looked in the back of my Owner's Manual and it is all there. the original owner's address, the address of the dealership, the dealer code...

But no signature... the typed the dealer name there again.

Did these vehicles also have the GM Protect-O-Plate for them? That would explain the original owner's information being in the owner's manual, with a back cover page usually being where the P-O-P was affixed. Seems like there could have also been an imprint of the plate on that page, too?

On other GM carlines, the P-O-P would have had the owner's identification, the VIN, plus other codes related to further defining the vehicle with regard to warranty repairs (engine, trans, trim, paint, etc.).

Just curious . . .

NTX5467

Guest carlbraun

All

I sold a 63 Riviera to a resto shop in Lexington, KY about 8 years ago. It was a cream color car with black California plates with the original WESSEN BUICK plate frame from soCal. On the dash it had a personalized plate that read...Made Expressly for The Blakelys.

Has anyone seen this car? It was supposed to have received a rotiserie restoration...it looks almost exactly like the one that recently appeared in The Riview magazine.

Any leads?

My 65 doesnt have a dash plate

Did these vehicles also have the GM Protect-O-Plate for them? That would explain the original owner's information being in the owner's manual, with a back cover page usually being where the P-O-P was affixed. Seems like there could have also been an imprint of the plate on that page, too?

On other GM carlines, the P-O-P would have had the owner's identification, the VIN, plus other codes related to further defining the vehicle with regard to warranty repairs (engine, trans, trim, paint, etc.).

Just curious . . .

NTX5467

I do not have a P-O-P for my '63. I do not know if they originally came with one. Someone else may know.

Guest Kingoftheroad

But no signature... the typed the dealer name there again.

I looked in the back of my owners manual and its blank, was that done in 64 ??

Mine is a '63, built in Feb of '63. It's on the last page, opposite the inside of the back cover. It has the buyer's name and address, delivery date, key number, model, VIN, engine code number, transmission number (J-136,) FB number, trim code, and paint code. It has the sellers information: Name, dealer code, address, and seller's signature.

Ed

In `63 Buick combined the owners guide and protection plan (maintenance/warranty) into 1 booklet. The back page of this booklet was to be filled out by hand with info we normally associate with both the owner and vehicle p-o-p. There were no metal p-o-p plates, just the handwritten info. Also, in the back of this booklet was a coupon for a free 1000 mile inspection which basically was an inspection and adjustment. The servicing dealer was to tear this coupon from the booklet and send it to claims at Buick to receive reimbursement. If the `63 owners reading this check their booklets you will most likely find a stub where this coupon originally appeared. If warranty repairs were performed all the pertinent owner and vehicle info would need to be filled out by hand, something which most probably did not happen to Buick`s/GM`s satisfaction.

In `64 the single booklet was broken into two booklets, one an owner`s manual and the other an owner protection plan. The owner protection plan already had a metal vehicle p-o-p affixed to it and below it was a space to place an additional metal plate which was the owner`s p-o-p. This second p-o-p was obtained by the owner after the sale by filling out a request form after which Buick would send the plate to be placed in the owner protection plan booklet by the owner. There was also a hand written page very similar to the handwritten `63 page which was to be filled out by the selling dealer and affixed to the 1000 inspection coupon stub. If warranty work was performed the metal p-o-p `s were placed in a machine much like a credit card swiper and the info was thus transferred onto all the necessary warranty paperwork. If the vehicle was sold by the original owner he/she was instructed to remove the owner p-0-p plate and the next owner was to submit the same request form previously submitted by the original owner for warranty transfer purposes.

Recently I purchased a `65 Gran Sport in a very rare color/trim combo. Upon inspection I found the owner protection plan booklet with both p-o-p`s still intact. The seller had no idea the p-o-p`s existed and confessed he had doubts about the legitimacy of the car as a true GS, so equipped.....until I explained the codes/info on the vehicle p-o-p.

It pays to do your homework and be an informed buyer. The musclecar /Corvette guys are way ahead of us as originality relates to value and it has become readily apparent original docs are more important to value than the original components still being in place. To have both is best but original docs cement most of the value. It is becoming commonplace to restamp numbers, codes and create casting numbers but original docs are hard to recreate. The p-o-p`s are an excellent example of valuable original docs.

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)