Newly acquired 1964 Jetstar convertible

Guest Reeno1971

Guest Reeno1971

Hello. Thank you in advance for reading my thread. My husband and I just acquired a 1964 Jetstar convertible last night, which has been cocooned for 30 years. The last time it was tagged was 1982. It is practically all original...paint, trim, motor (330 2bbl), interior, etc.

The previous owners have not located the keys as of yet and we were wondering if there is a manual way to get the top down (without the key) to ease our interior cleaning.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Loreen

Guest dstaton

Remove the cosmetic metal plates near the rear seat back that cover the hydraulic pistons attachments. Remove the bolts atop the hydraulic piston. Hit the latches, pull the top down, with your husband, one on each side. Mind the hydraulics vis a vis the top fabric, and protect the back window.

Or, you could hook the battery up and run the top down with the switch. The top should run all the time - shouldn't need the key.

Also...

If you need keys, you should be able to pop out some lock cylinders. The key codes should be stamped in the cylinders.

Paul

If you need keys, you should be able to pop out some lock cylinders. The key codes should be stamped in the cylinders.

Paul

The door and ignition key are the same on that car. Simply remove one of the door lock cylinders. The four character code stamped on the cylinder can be used to punch a new key.

They used a 2 speed like a powerglide but without the powerglide whine.

Ron

So this is a full size car without a Roto. A full size Olds using a "A" body BOP ST300?? Must have a extended tail shaft?? I just thought because of the new (Gen2) engine/bell housing and being a full size it might have got the T400 like some Cadillac's and Buick for 64.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

So this is a full size car without a Roto. A full size Olds using a "A" body BOP ST300?? Must have a extended tail shaft?? I just thought because of the new (Gen2) engine/bell housing and being a full size it might have got the T400 like some Cadillac's and Buick for 64.

Don

Yes, the 64-66 Jetstar 88s used the ST300 (called Jetaway by Olds). Please note that this is NOT a Powerglide and except for having only two forward speeds, it has nothing in common with a Powerglide.

The J88 was the bottom of the line full size car for Olds and used versions of the engine, trans, rear axle, and brakes from the A-body cars. The 1964 J88 has many parts unique to that year and model. The rear axle housing, front spindles, and even the frame are unique to the 1964 J88. Even the engine accessory brackets on the 330 are unique to the 1964 J88.

Joe, I just looked this car up in one of my books. Says sort of a cut rate Starfire on the 88 chassis. Pictures show a nice interior w/ bucket seats and a console w/ tach. The cars on the outside look good too. Rocker molding, wheel lip molding really make the car. One of the cars had Super Stock wheels. I didn't know Olds had Super Stocks in 64. Both pictures were front views so I couldn't tell if they are using the concave back-glass like Starfire. Pontiac started using concave back glass in the G/P in 1963. I bet that Jetstar cut into Pontiac's Catalina market.

One last question; How long did Olds use this 330" ST300 combination? My book doesn't say.

Thanks in advance

Don

Olds offered two Jetstar models. One of them is the Jetstar 1, based on the Starfire, which you are referring to above, including the concave rear window. This car had a 394 and all the regular full size parts. It was built to offer a full size sports car on a budget. By the time you added optional equipment to bring it up to a standard equipped Starfire, I think the price difference was only like $150.

The convertible mentioned by the original poster is a Jetstar 88, offered as coupe, convertible and sedan models (was there a wagon, too?). These cars used the 330s, Jetaways, and A-body underpinnings. I think the idea behind this was to move people up from Chevrolets to the prestige of the Oldsmobile name, for a little extra money.

Paul

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)

Joe, I just looked this car up in one of my books. Says sort of a cut rate Starfire on the 88 chassis. Pictures show a nice interior w/ bucket seats and a console w/ tach. The cars on the outside look good too. Rocker molding, wheel lip molding really make the car. One of the cars had Super Stock wheels. I didn't know Olds had Super Stocks in 64. Both pictures were front views so I couldn't tell if they are using the concave back-glass like Starfire. Pontiac started using concave back glass in the G/P in 1963. I bet that Jetstar cut into Pontiac's Catalina market.

One last question; How long did Olds use this 330" ST300 combination? My book doesn't say.

Thanks in advance

Don

Don,

The car you've found is a Jetstar I, not a Jetstar 88. These are often confused. The Jetstar I was the cut-rate Starfire that you describe. The Jetstar 88 was the bottom-line loss leader of the 88 series. In 1964, the Jetstar I used the 394 and Slim Jim trans. The J88 used the 330 and ST300. The ST300 was the only automatic offered behind the 330 for the 1964-67 model years. In fact, Olds used the ST300 behind the small block motors through the 1969 model year and behind the 400 big block motors through the 1966 model year. My 1966 442 came from the factory with the ST300, for example.

Don,

To answer your other question, Olds first released the Super Stock II wheels in the 1968 model year. If you see them on a 1964 car, they were not factory installed. Also, note that the Super Stock II wheels only came with the 5 x 4.75" bolt pattern used on the A-body cars and the Jetstar 88. All other Olds full size cars used the 5 x 5" bolt pattern.

Guest rsd9699

The turbo-350 tranny superseded the 2 speeder. By the late sixties - there was a general out cry by the trade rags as to why one would ever tie a 2 speed to a big engine and expect performance. I remember that GMC trucks of era used them as well. Cheap Chevy held onto the PG until the bitter end at which point they even removed the automatic shift in an effort to sell them. And all this time the whine in park and neutral would drive you nuts.

The gas shortage drove the final nail in the PG coffin. Then came overdrive..... And now 5, 6, and 7 speeds to get the most bang for the buck at the pump.

Ron

Guest rsd9699

In the 64 Olds they did start using the 400. But the shift pattern was same as Buick as they were still weening their people off of dynaflow - they also had problems with putting the wrong dip stick in the trannies - causing oil belching problems. The "PRNDSL" quadrant arrived in 1965 - it was even an option on Chevies.

Ron

The turbo-350 tranny superseded the 2 speeder. By the late sixties - there was a general out cry by the trade rags as to why one would ever tie a 2 speed to a big engine and expect performance.

Ron

Back in 65 I was running a 59 Pontiac Catalina, 389 Tri-Power, solid lifter (factory cam) with a four speed Super Hydramatic in F/SA.( FYI, Hydramatic division who makes it calls the dual coupling Hydramatic "controlled coupling Hydramatic"). A consistent 13.90 @ 101-102 at sea level. There was a guy who ran a 64 GTO automatic (ST300) called Lil,Two Speed and ran in C/SA. My engine was factory rated at 345 hp and his 389 Tri-Power at 348. My weight was 3909 lbs. and his around 3300-3400 lbs. His car was a consistent 12.30's at 105-108mph.

Like gear changing in the four speed to stay in the engines sweet torque band, the ST 300 does the same thing with a variable pitch stator and only changes gears once. Ever wonder why many big cube Chevy's still use a Powerglide.They keep the engine rpm in the sweet spot.

BTW as Joe pointed out, the ST300 was not superseded by T-350, but rather used along side as well as T-400 depending on application until other transmissions came along. I think they are a great trans.

I was not aware Olds used T-400 in 1964.

Don

I was not aware Olds used T-400 in 1964.

Don

They did not.

In the 1964 model year, Olds only offered two V8 engines, the 330 and the 394 (the Buick 225 V6 was also available in the A-body cars but the only AT offered with it was the ST300). The TH400 was NEVER offered behind the 330 from the factory - the only factory AT ever bolted to a 330 was the ST300.

Similarly, there is NO version of the TH400 ever made that bolts to the 394 bellhousing bolt pattern - the only AT offered with the 394 in 1964 was the RotoHydramatic 10.

I thought that too, but after being in the automotive business for 40+ years I've learned not to say never happened. I think Ron was mistaken in the #14 comment.

Don

Guest rsd9699

The t-400 was not used on the 330 engine. Late production Olds used the Buick version of the t-400 - the one without the "S" - there the quadrant only had drive and low. I do not have my 1964 service guide publications as they were lost in a house fire 21 years ago but if I remember correctly - it describes the limited use of the t-400 and then a month or so later it describes the dip stick mix up. I think the "modern garage" in the "popular science" magazine has a write up on this - but I have slept since then. I will see if I can find that on the net.

Ron

The t-400 was not used on the 330 engine. Late production Olds used the Buick version of the t-400 - the one without the "S" - there the quadrant only had drive and low. I do not have my 1964 service guide publications as they were lost in a house fire 21 years ago but if I remember correctly - it describes the limited use of the t-400 and then a month or so later it describes the dip stick mix up. I think the "modern garage" in the "popular science" magazine has a write up on this - but I have slept since then. I will see if I can find that on the net.

Ron

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron, This late production Olds had what engine???

Don

Guest rsd9699

I found the article but it indicates that the dipstick mix up was for the 65 Olds that were t-400 and got the 64 jetaway dipsticks.

So I was wrong about that. And I could not confirm the t-400 in 64.

If the moderator can move these messages to a new thread - that would be nice - I did not intend to hi-jack this thread with my bad memories.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reeno1971

Thanks Guys!!! My husband was able to pull the top motor out and get it moving. After hooking up a battery, we put the motor back in and the top goes up and down like new!!

Guest Reeno1971

Thank you for the information on the keys and lock cylinders. Does anyone know if any company is reproducing front parking light assemblies, interior or trim parts? The front light assembly is hosed and the carpeting needs replaced because of the mice...

Guest rsd9699

You might find a dealer some place that has a nos part. Low production car means it is not worth duplicating. Your best bet is to get all the manuals you can get hands on. Then shop at bid sites, ask everyone you see if they know of an Olds for parts, and check junk yards across the nation and world. The parts are out there but they become fewer and fewer every year you wait and the quality of the parts goes down and the prices escalate.

Many hobbyist horde parts. Shop the southern states first for the least amount of pitting of parts.

The best with your new old Olds.

Ron

The parking lamp assemblies are the same for all 1964 big Oldsmobiles, from Jetstar 88 thru Ninety Eight. They have a clear outer lens, a clear inner lens and use amber 1157A bulbs.

Carpeting should be easy enough to find. It is different from Chevrolet, but somewhere like Auto Custom Carpets should have it. Weatherstripping is the same as Impala and readily available.

Other pieces will be find NOS or good used.

Fusick Automotive is an Olds parts vendor. You can download their current catalog online. They also have a list of NOS parts.

http://www.fusick.com/

AND

There is the National Antique Oldsmobile Club, which offers free classified advertising to members. You might find someone listing what you need, or, you can run a parts wanted ad.

http://www.antiqueolds.org/

Paul

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
Guest belairbob

hello im bob i to just purchased a 1964 jetstar 88 i am still learning about it mine is a factory 4 speed im having a great time restoring it to factory original its quite a chalange from doing my usual chevys if not for the internet i would be lost for parts

• 1 month later...
Guest Reeno1971

Aw man! I wish ours was a factory 4-speed! Congratulations on your acquisition Bob. We have old Chevys too, but the Olds was a nice addition to the collection. I'm patiently waiting for spring/summer so we can take it to shows. I haven't logged on in a while. Do you have pics? I'm uploading some today. :rolleyes:

Just to clarify something mentioned on this thread several months back, Oldsmobile NEVER made a Jetstar I convertible in '64 or '65--they were all coupes, so any Jetstar convertible would have to be a Jetstar 88, which I believe was only made from '64 through '66 (and I'm not sure if convertibles were made all three of those years).

Don't know why Oldsmobile saw fit to introduce two new models in the same year with such similar names, yet very different components overall; by 1966, there were SO many models, as you had the introduction of the Toronado, to go along with the last year of the Starfire, and at least by then, there was no Jetstar I to confuse the Jetstar 88 with.

Guest chequenman
Just to clarify something mentioned on this thread several months back, Oldsmobile NEVER made a Jetstar I convertible in '64 or '65--they were all coupes, so any Jetstar convertible would have to be a Jetstar 88, which I believe was only made from '64 through '66 (and I'm not sure if convertibles were made all three of those years).

Don't know why Oldsmobile saw fit to introduce two new models in the same year with such similar names, yet very different components overall; by 1966, there were SO many models, as you had the introduction of the Toronado, to go along with the last year of the Starfire, and at least by then, there was no Jetstar I to confuse the Jetstar 88 with.

BelairBob said his Conv. is a Jetstar "88" not a Jetstar "1", so is there some confusion here or am I just miss reading something wrong here?

...there just seemed to be some back and forth as to what kind of "Jetstar" model was in question, and at this point in time, was just clarifying for any future looks at this thread that one easy distinction between a J-I and a J88 was the fact that Olds never made a J-I convertible, hence any Jetstar convertible would have to be the J88.

...there just seemed to be some back and forth as to what kind of "Jetstar" model was in question, and at this point in time, was just clarifying for any future looks at this thread that one easy distinction between a J-I and a J88 was the fact that Olds never made a J-I convertible, hence any Jetstar convertible would have to be the J88.

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday about this thread because he had a Jetstar 88 that he bought new. He then informed me that he had a lot of confusion buying parts and then told me ( I already knew ) that it seemed Oldsmobile really confused people with all this Jet named stuff. Starfire, Jetfire, Jetstar88, and Jetstar1.... he said he thought at the time Oldsmobile was in competition with the Air Force naming planes and rockets.

D.

Guest chequenman

Oh!! I now understand, and I was thinking that's what you were trying to clarify before the misunderstandings STARTED.....:eek: