1940 rear window wiper

Guest BigDogDaddy

Guest BigDogDaddy

I spotted this on Ebay. It is a 1940 Super that the seller claims is mostly original, aside from the ugly dash redo. The interesting thing is that it has a rear window wiper and rear defroster. You can see the duct for the defroster in the trunk, along with a piece of astro turf. Did they really offer a rear wiper and defroster ?

Check it out.

Phil

Buick | eBay

It looks like there's a rear speaker tucked away there, too. I've only seen one 40s Buick with the rear wiper option, although I have seen a lot of same-era Chevrolets with them, especially in West Coast lowrider/bomba clubs. That defroster is interesting...would have thought the small fan option would suffice, but when looking at the photo of the back seat, there looks to be a louver in the rear window trim, similar to the front window trim defroster opening.

Handsome car!

I know that a rear wiper was available on '41 Buicks as a dealer-installed option, so I'm guessing '40 would be possible as well. I've seen two sedanettes like mine with rear window wipers, and I think it's extremely cool. I'd love to find one for mine before the paint goes on.