Interior Gets HOT!

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

Looking for some ideas on how to deflect the heat on my 1950 Buick Special. When I'm driving the inside of the car gets hot! I've used EZCool on the floors when I put new carpeting in and that seemed to help a bit but it still seems to get hot inside. Anyone use anything special on theirs to keep it cooler inside?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

Mine gets hot as well. Nature of the beast??? I still have not done it, but one needs to be certain every hole where something comes through the firewall is sealed. I also installed shut off valves in the heater hoses so no water flows to the heater/defroster cores. The "fresh air" vents are another source if the hoses on the ducts under the hood are loose as mine are.

Ben

You probably need more of that ez cool on the entire underside of the cowl. Up behind the dashboard and in the front kick panel areas. If you have the under hood hoses for the vents do they need to be insulated as well?

Guest NikeAjax

Hmmmm? I foresaw that coming when I painted my '56, so I reversed the black and white on the factory color scheme. I painted the top white and under the sweepspear black. I just knew it would turn into a microwave oven with all that glass and a black top, "Mmmmm-boy, microwave-popcorn!" was what was going through my head...

I REALLY LOVE vent-wings, especially with all the windows down at 65-MPH, who needs AC?

Jaybird

Don't forget about some heat insulation for the inner surface of the roof panel, too! Perhaps some of that spray-on radiant barrier stuff like they use on the underside of residential roofs?

Many later model vehicles have insulation "mats" for the passenger side of the firewall/cowl area. Sound AND heat insulation in one package.

Might there be some of the foil-covered hvac ducting which might be the correct size to work on the air intake tubes for the interior ventilation air? Gotta be something that will work and which can also look reasonably stock for judging purposes.

Maybe some "mister fans" could be put in the air outlets on the interior???

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest NikeAjax

Ummm, is there anyway to insulate the mufflers from the rest of the car? When I was a kid we had a station wagon, and being the youngest, I was always in the tail-gunner position. It got REALLLLLLY hot back there even in the winter: just a thought?

Jaybird

Don't forget about some heat insulation for the inner surface of the roof panel, too! Perhaps some of that spray-on radiant barrier stuff like they use on the underside of residential roofs?

NTX5467

Are there any insulation experts here? I have heard that insulation works best when there is a gap between the outside panel and the insulation. It makes sense to me but I wonder if that's incorrect science of the product.

If it is right, I wonder if there is any product on the market that simulates this and can be adapted to a vehicle? I understand there is a metal roofing material for houses available which does incorporate a gap between the surface exposed to the sun and the top layer of sheathing. But what I've seen is a textured panel to simulate roofing shingles, not a flat sheet metal panel that could be laid under the carpets etc.

Guest sconnors

I did an inspection and found that some of the grommets on the 1950 are either not there or so shot they need replacing, however I checked with Cars, Bob's, and Steele Rubber and they have some, but not all the grommets I need. The one that is really shot is the main wiring harness grommet. So I ordered what grommets I could get, will get some more EZCool and use that and improvise on the grommets I can't find. If anyone knows any other sources for grommets please let me know

Thanks

Scott

Ummm, is there anyway to insulate the mufflers from the rest of the car? When I was a kid we had a station wagon, and being the youngest, I was always in the tail-gunner position. It got REALLLLLLY hot back there even in the winter: just a thought?

Jaybird

ThermoTec exhaust system "wrap". Wraps on just like the insulation you might put on your exposed water pipes for winter, but a different material. They now have lots of other applications on their website.

As for an "air gap", you might use some of the larger bubble wrap which has adhesive on one side as the "base coat" and then apply the insulation to it. I've seen some trim guys use the smaller bubble wrap under carpets in addition to some normal heat insulation to replace the thicker jute padding.

There's also two products from Lizzard Skin (I believe) which are sound deadening and one with some ceramic content for heat insulation/deflection). They were used on "Trucks!" (PowerblockTV) in prepping the floorpan of "Super Dually"'s cab. A website for both the cable TV show and the product.

Regards,

NTX5467

I just put EZCool on the underside of the roof of my 57 Buick, replacing the thick tar paper like supstance that was there. Scrubbed the rooof down with a scotchbrite pad on my grinder, painted the roof and surface rust with rust encapsulator paint, let er dry, then glued on the EZCool. Seems to work pretty dang well. Going to do the floor / firewall next wit EZCool.