Hood Corners

vergil

If you are talking about the little rubber triangle at each bottom corner of the hood side, I believe those are to protect the body and fender paint from the hood.

Guest DodgeKCL

My 2cents worth- Everyone seems to put them on wrong these days. They pierce the whole triangle and put the rivet through from the outside. This means you can see the rivet head in the middle of the rubber triangle at all times. This is not correct. The rivet only goes through the hood corner and then the rivet tangs go through the back of the rubber triangle on the inside of the hood and a washer is placed over the rivet tangs and then they are spread over flat. This way the rivet head is not seen from the outside. It's hidden inside the 'pocket' formed by the outside flap of the rubber.(I hope my description is clear?)

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

What he is saying Vergil is dont place a hole in the front or face of the corner piece, instead place the corner piece on the hood where it belongs and then tuck the rivet in behind the face of the the corner piece, thru the pre-drilled hole in the hood and then thru the backside of the corner piece and then place a washer over whats left of the rivet and bend over its tabs.

Evidently according to KCL the rivet head is not supposed to show on the front side. Hope that helps

This high pressure system has been exerting undue pressure on the gray cells. After thinking about this on and off all evening, I came to the understanding which you so aptly described. Thanks to you both!!!

Bill

Dodge KCL - that makes sense as I have ordered two sets of these corners from different vendors. One was made of a cheap rubber and only had a hole in one of the two faces of the "pocket". I thought they just didn't finish it correctly. On the other hand, if you purchase a set from Myers as shown in the picture here, you get a product with a hole pierced through both sides of the "pocket". It looks like these are intended for the rivet head to show no matter which mounting method you employ.

By the way, what do you use to bend the tangs on theses critters. Those little buggers seem to resist my efforts to spread them, especially in stainless. I prefer not resorting to some bigger guns which may lead to scratched paint and some &*!?^*% language.

post-54582-143138608154_thumb.jpg

Guest DodgeKCL

sandiego

I put a screwdriver in the slot between the tangs and push to one side and then the other to get them to start to spread open. Then I take a C clamp and clamp down on the tangs and spread them the rest of the way. I see no washers in your photo. You will need a washer slid down the tangs for the tangs to press against and 'lock' against the rubber. The washer also acts as an 'anvil' when you are using the screwdriver and gives you something to push against. Put a piece of wood under the jaw of the C clamp on the outside of the hood. And use the movable,ball jointed,part of the jaw on the piece of wood on the outside. This will give you better control as you 'squash' the tangs on the inside. Use as big a C clamp as you can handle. A small one can slide off the tangs. (I hope my description is clear? LOL)

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

Or spread them with a screwdriver to get them started put a block of wood on the outside and tap the tangs with a brass hammer lighly and carefully

Myers carriers the leather corners w/rivets which as mentioned are pierced thru both sides. I got the rubber corners (which are a little thicker...more protection? than leather) from Mac's (MacsAuto Parts.com).These are not pierced through but molded such that you can see where to put the rivet thru one or both sides.