Radius Rod Nut

Guest zazothex

Guest zazothex

So, I pulled the front axle assembly from the '48 LC, and am slowly dismantling for cleaning and restoration. I'm down to the kingpins, leaf spring and the hated wishbone. I've broken two 18" breaker bars (3/8 and 1/2), gone thru half a can of KROIL and an entire cylinder of propane, and all I got now is two nearly round nuts under the radius rod / front axle bolts (P/N 3036 in chassis manual). I pulled the cotter pins, but the damn things are just not budging. Anyone have handy advice for me in getting the things off?

You might try this: split the nut off with a chisel, Heat the axle and radius rod in the area where the bolt goes thru, add some Kroil around the bolt where it goes thru the axle( while hot) and press/pound the bolt loose. A thin nut threaded on the bolt ( even with the end of the bolt) might save the threads. Good luck

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

Guest zazothex

Thanks. I figured my last option would be a splitter. I'm a bit concerned with the fact the nut is recessed and so it wouldn't get all the way through, but some is better than none. Good tip on the extra nut on the end, though.

John Murphy and I worked an afternoon to get them out of one of his front axles. All I remember about it was it was a major pain. The solution to the problem after we cut the nut off with various cutters, chisels and anything else that would work was to use a muffler tool with a punch like end to drive the bolt out. The combination of heat, penetrating oil and the vibration from the muffler tool seemed to be the answer, well that plus a few well choses words and patience.

Tom

• 2 months later...
Guest zazothex

Took Bwatoe's advice and just left the damn things on. I got about halfway through one of them with a splitter, but even Dremel-ing them off was too much of a hassle. I was just trying to be as meticulous as possible. But at this point, I think I'm just going to put a nice weld on the side I split, clean it up and paint/seal the whole unit, axle and Wishbone as one. I've got nearly everything else on the front end stripped, cleaned and sitting in a new coat of POR (actually Eatwood's rust encapsulator for most). I should have some pictures in a bit.

For the moment, I'm trying to track down some urethane bushings to replace my old rubber ones on this and that. It's a hassle, but I figure if I can find some that fit the dimensions, everyone can benefit. As much as I love BoosHerrel, I can't afford their OEM rubber most of the time.