32 steering box leaking

v12lincoln

Well just when I thought everything was fixed and ready to go back together I filled the steering box and the 120 wt, gear oil just leaked right out. The shop manual I have doesnt go into detail on how to repair it so I will ask the buick faithful for some help.

Are there any seals in these boxes? Book doesnt show any. This is the last thing I have to fix besides installing a set of trippe lights on the front.

Looking forward to driving it soon.

Anyone here going to Hot August Nights in Reno this year? I will be up there with my 48 Lincoln Conv. coupe.

I cut a piece of rubber to fit the bottom at the throttle shaft pass through and found a new seal that fits the pitman arm shaft perfect. its a napa part #13529 These new seals should keep the 90-140 wt gear oil inside without leaking. Lucky for me the bronze bushings are near perfect and no wear on the gears.

I think they refer to the original oil for the steering box as " steam oil " which has the consistency of grease.

I use Penrite steering box lube - have to wait for a really hot day to get it to flow from the container into the steering box!!

Thanks guys. but with the new style seals there should be no leaking at all as tight as they fit.

I have been wrong before but I have to see for myself. In the mean time I will be looking for some of the Penrite steering box lube. I have never seen it out here on the west coast.

90-140wt is the heaviest I could find without using grease. I have club meeting tonight with the HCCA so will ask around and see what others are using.

After putting the steering box together with the new style seals and putting 80 wt oil in it to test for leaks I found one seaping from the top stud. Will use a little sealer on the stud and should be fine. It sure steers easier with the light weight oil in there.