steering box rebuild kit?

v12lincoln

Anyone know of a kit to rebuild the 48 Lincoln steering box or the part #s for all the parts. I have so much play at the wheel it feels like piloting a ship.

Have it torn down and everything is loose but not worn enough to replace.

Tried taking the shims out of the sector gear plate but there wasn't any just a gasket.

This may help: The shims for the roller shaft ( sector )are on the bottom side between the sector and thrust washer. You have to remove the roller shaft in order to to get to these shims. "The position of the roller shaft is offset from the centerline of the worm, therefore, when a shim is removed the roller is moved into closer mesh with the worm."

Shims to adjust the worm end play are under the worm cover at the bottom of the worm column on the gear housing. These are very thin and a thin blade is useful in removing these one at a time until all end play is removed and the worm still turns freely. You should have the roller shaft removed when making this adjustment.

The adjustment on the plate on top of the steering gear is there to remove any end play ( up/down) in the roller shaft and is not used to adjust the mesh between the roller and worm.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

The tapered upper and lower roller bearings are the same as used in the big Ford trucks. Part #81T-3571. the upper race is BB-3552, the lower race is 81T-3553. The seal is 81T-3591. I think I have these bearings,race and seal numbers so you can get them locally,I will check on this.

As far as the rest of it,like was mentioned by someone else,its not available.

Thanks guys. I have a # for a place called Straight Line Steering in San Jose, Ca. that rebuilds older steering boxes. If I can ever get them to answer their phone I will let you know what I find out about the rest of the bearings/bushings.

This is a good start.

The Franklin club had new worm gears made a while ago and they are suppose to work in the Lincoln Gemmer 2 boxes as that is what they used. Will check with a couple of friends who own Franklins and find out.