Brake Drum Removal '25

MikeC5

A couple of ideas have been posted before:

1.Take off the hub castle nut and turn it so the flat end, not the castle is out. There will be a space betwen the nut and the brake hub. This is where the action is. Make sure the nut is slightly above the thread and then tap lightly with wheel, tire on ground.

2. Do above and make sure there is 1/4 to 1/2 inch of 'air' between the nut and the drum and drive ever so slowly in a circle until the wheel hub pops off. Probably want to try this in your driveway or street. Again, slowly.

3. Have a hub puller made. I had one made 30 years ago. Basically a giant nut which threads on and then hit with sledge, gently with whee, tire on ground.

4. Try to back off the brakes. usually through an access hole. On my '28 Std 6 it is in front between the spokes. Probably need a flashlight and the owner's manual. Probably need to do 1, 2, 3 above after backing off brakes

Best wishes.

Paul

There are also pullers out there that screw on like the hub cap. Tighten them down then wack with a hammer. I usually do the drive in a circle thing, but I can't say I go "ever so slowly" :)

Works about 95% of the time.

Well I ended up renting a puller that bolts to 3 of the wheel studs and pushes on the end of axle shaft. Tightened the bejeezus out of it, tried tapping around the edges of hub, heating the hub all to no avail. You can't really get much heat where you need it. What a stubborn SOB! I did take the puller off and try Paul's method too but I was only able to rock the car while stationary. The hardware store looked at me like I was from another planet when I asked for 2 & 7/16 x 16 threads. I'll have to try and find a puller that screws on the hub and wait till the car is drivable....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got them off suing a nice, rugged puller made by George Mcmurtry. He's a retired machinist out in Nebraska that I found searching through other AACA forums. His price was quite reasonable ($150 including shipping) and if you're nor sure what thread size is on the hub he'll work from a hub cap you send him, just to make sure. His e-mail, phone number:

gmcmurtry@embarqmail.com, (308)586-1930

A satisfied customer.