The importance of checking under the hood every once in a while.

wht89reatta

So for the past couple of years my Cam position sensor has been out, not a big deal since the only down fall is a little bit rougher idle. Anyhow every winter and summer I can tell when the oil companys switch from summer blend gas to the winter blend gas seeing as my car runs much smoother on winter blend. So this spring I just figured they had switched to summer blend when my car had started to run much rougher at an idle. Well anyhow a few weeks passed and i figured id better check my oil since it goes low from time to time. I get under the hood and put the quart of oil in and im just doing a quick visual check to see if anything else is out of place and what do i find, the vaccum hose for the cruise control has just popped off of the intake manifold. I popped it on and bang smooth idle once more. So i guess what im saying is, if something seems amiss dont be afraid to do a quick visual check just to be sure.

Guest blue72beetle

I just decided to go put the car up and see what was leaking. It was coming from the transmission side cover, and I couldn't believe it, most of the bolts were loose. Some were so loose that I could unscrew them with my fingers!

I tightened them all (most that I could get to) back up, and that should stop my slow transmission leak.

Change my own oil also but is mainly because

1) can work on a cold engine

2) be done in 20 minutes - no waiting.

3) Use Delco filters

4) Gives a chance to "get out and get under" and take a look.

BTW Arizona Ice Tea gallon jugs make great used oil containers - are clear and much stronger than milk jugs.

Just drop 'em off at Jiffy Lube (or the equivalent). In NY they are required to accept used oil and filters. I don't change the oil in my cars myself but I bring them the used oil and filters from the scooter.

Just drop 'em off at Jiffy Lube (or the equivalent). In NY they are required to accept used oil and filters. I don't change the oil in my cars myself but I bring them the used oil and filters from the scooter.

Speaking of which, I took my convertible to Lube a la Jiffy yesterday for an oil change They were all marveling over it, the low milage, the condition, etc.

One guy said he did an inspection "on the Cadillac version of this this past winter", and that he didn't even know Buick made a 2-seater convertible.

Another guy (who apparently knew it all) kept correcting people saying "Reatta" was pronounced "Rita".

I just sat back and enjoyed myself.. :D

Guest Recian

ive never let anyone else touch my car. Seeing some of the work that comes from other shops like messed up or cross threaded bolts, poor sloppy work or even leaving drain plugs and oil caps loose I know if i do it all myself it'll get done right. Only thing i dont do myself is exhaust work. I even do most of my tint (exept rear glass) and body work myself and if it needs to be done i take the exhaust part off and take it to the shop, not my car. People have no respect for what's theirs much less what's somebody else's anymore. i dont trust people enough for it

I guess i consider myself lucky enough to be a qualified mechanic but it's always nice to go to "my mechanic" when i cant figure something out. It's also a good idea to get to know some shops and mechanics that do quality work.

P.S. i would never trust the Stiffy Lube's or the Walmart's here. I've heard too many horror stories.

Besides my BRAKE LIGHTS OUT sign I flash to persons when needed I tell my fellows to walk around their car once a week. I have heard them say, "How'd that scratch get there?; flat tire?; I didn't know that was there!; Huh?

On the Pass. side always of course.