jay leno and Straus Duesenberg

32tatra

The New York Post on 6/20/11 printed an article about the lawsuit about how he brought the 1931 Duesenberg Model J that belonged to John Straus.

The lawsuit against Leno and the Windsor Garage was brought by the Straus family claimed Leno got the car, which he had been eyeing for years, from the east side garage after it seized it and then sold it to him in a "sham auction"

The terms of the settlement are confidential, but a "source said the family got some money, but not from Leno, who get to keep the car."

The interesting thing is that the NY Post has been covering this story for over three years. It even made the front page,when the manager of the garage killed himself. Two cars were auctioned off, he got the 1932 Rolls Royce. If you want to read more, just go to the NY Post web site.

20 or 30 years ago there was a column in Car and Driver about this car. At the time it was a mysterious thing known to a few New York car fans. The columnist heard about it and managed to get into the downtown parking garage to see it.

The story was that the car was always parked on the top floor and at some time while it was up there the freight elevator was remodelled and was now too small to take the car down.

Whether this was true or not I don't know. Maybe it was a story made up to discourage people from trying to buy it.

Was interested to learn that the car had a lot of miles on it, 107,000 rather than 7,000 as originally thought. So the story that the car was parked in that garage since 1931 was probably true in the sense that that is where they stored it, but it was obviously on the road a lot too.

The engine work may have been the work of Jim Hoe the Duesenberg expert who rebuilt the car back in the early 50s for the son of the original owner.

Considering the rough condition of the car and the high mileage and the undesirable body $180,000 was probably a fair price.Any Duesenberg experts care to comment?

As to whether the garage had the right to sell the car, that depends. If the storage bill went unpaid for a long enough time they would have the right to put a lien on the car. If they followed all the proper legal steps they would have the right to sell it. The value of the car would not enter into it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I find it "interesting" that they waited 2 or 3 years to start their lawsuit, until Leno had spent a fortune restoring the car.

They claim it is worth $1.7 million, maybe it is now but it sure wasn't when Leno bought it.

According to this story $39,700 went to pay the storage bill, the rest was velvet for the company.

Latest word is they got a settlement from the storage company. Leno is in the clear, he keeps the car and pays nothing.

The heirs claimed the storage company finagled the bills to confuse the 88 year old owner. They charged him for storage of other cars he owned in a different garage while refusing to take payment on the Duesy and a 1930 Rolls sitting beside it. In this way they made it look like the storage bill was unpaid when it was a scam to steal the cars.

Where the truth lies we will never know as the case never got to the judge. I know some claims the heirs are false, such as that the car was worth $1.7 million when Leno bought it.

In the Leno video you can see the paint cracking and peeling off the cowl on the left side, revealing pink primer underneath. I don't believe that color primer was used in 1930 but it was in the fifties and sixties. This indicates to me that the car was repainted at some time.

The story was that the son of the original owner put the car back in commission in the early 50s and had it overhauled by Duesenberg expert Jim Hoe. It was probably painted at that time. An overhaul, paintjob and a set of tires would comprise a comprehensive restoration at that time.

The Duesenberg expert referred to is Arthur J "Jim" Hoe, of Connecticut. Perhaps confused here with Fred Roe, long time automotive historian and author of the definitive tome on Duesenbergs: Duesenberg The Pursuit of Perfection. Both are deceased.

Leno claims to have made up the elevator story but I think I heard it before. But I could be wrong.

One other thing that amuses me is his claim to have bought the car from the original owner. By my reckoning he is the fifth owner.

The car was bought new by Mr. Strauss. He left it to his wife. She sold it to their son. He lost it for storage to the garage. They sold it to Leno.

I suppose he could say it was in the same family until he bought it and not be far wrong. But to call it a one owner car is a bit of a stretch.

If you look at the car itself, perhaps provenance would enhance the value (which could be why Jay and Rusty's opinion on "original owner varies, +1 to Rusty on that one..) which is interesting regardless; and it is great to see an original and interesting closed body left intact. However as to the value I don't think this would be one of the pricier model Js. - kind of a "frumpy" bodystyle compared to say, a "Clear Vision Berline" sedan. Seems to me $180K for a car that probably needed much more than that in restoration (I can't imagine calling up Randy Emma, and saying, "well, what can you quote me on this..) costs is not really stealing the car. My guess is Leno would value the car differently than the plaintiff here.