25 engine problems

The engine runs fine at idle starts breaking up at 25-30 coil is new, points are in good condition and so are the plugs.never did this until I lost the timing when a changed the water pump shaft.Starts right up and smooths out when the spark is at full advance.I'm lost.Could I put a dwell meter on this.

I just finished putting modern coils and condensors on my 24 and 25 coupes. I used a 60's-70's Ford 12 volt coils (internal resistors) and matching condensors. I removed the stock condensor and mounted the modern one on the outside of the dist. using a small screw and nut through the original condensor mounting hole. Both now run great, where as I was having issues before.

Took it for a 20 mile drive today ran like a new one got 6 blocks from home started acting up again,left it sit with the hood up for 20 min started it made it home looked at the points again and they were starting to burn again pulled the condenser apart ( i had sent it off to be fixed once before it wasn't the same mf) going to mount a newer style on the outside and see how it does then.More to come.

Yes it fits easily under the cap..

One other thing to check is the resistance of the primary of the coil. The 12 volt coil will have about 5 Ohms res. There is also a 6 volt coil that was used in I believe 26 or 27 when they switched to 6 volts that looked exactly the same but was 6 volt. It had a resistance of 2.5 Ohms on the primary. That would draw double the amperage at 12 volts and cause what you are describing. The coil should have 12 volt stamped on a washer on the top of the coil.