1956 Mercury Montclair

Guest lenny38

It is a

335hp 312 c.i. V-8 with a 4 barrel carburetor

more like 235 hp.Chevy ballyhooed their 283 cu engine in 57 which produced 283 hp (1 horse per cube) but that was with a supercharger. The best ford got was about 300hp with a supercharger. They also had a dual Quad version at about 275.

hi dave, chevrolet in the 1950's never had a supercharger, fuel injection, and two four barrel carburetors, yes. but no supercharger. the 283 horsepower 283 cubic inch engine had the rochester fuel injection set up. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

valve wear concerns would be valid if the engine were to operate above 3000 rpms all the time. lenny, if you were to add some lead type product in every 10th time you filled up the gas tank, you would be giving the valves more protection than required. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

hi dave, chevrolet in the 1950's never had a supercharger, fuel injection, and two four barrel carburetors, yes. but no supercharger. the 283 horsepower 283 cubic inch engine had the rochester fuel injection set up. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

You're certainly right,Charles. I knew that and I feel a little embarrassed to have slipped up.

The standard engine was 210 HP @ 4600 With 8.0 CR

Two options were 215 HP @ 4600 With 8.4 CR

225 HP @ 4600 With 9.0 CR

Carb was Holley ECZ-9510 A&B DD 4 Barrel

Data from the 1956 Ethyl Corporation Breif Passenger Car Data Book . Dan

what they are saying is that you should be fine with a "top tier" premium grade of gas and an occasional can of additive.

Look up or google "top tier" fuel/gas

I was a lifelong believer that all gas is the same, now I am not

for certain engine systems top tier is the ONLY way to go and in our case not all top tier fuel is the same ...

The rule of thumb is that your octane should look like your compression ratio. In your car, top HP engine was 9:1 comp so today's hi test of 91 or 92 octane should be ample.

Naturally this is not a hard and fast rule, just a guide. You could try 89 or even 87 and see how it performs. If it runs smooth with no knocking or pinging it should be fine.

• 2 years later...