Headlight gremlins in a 63

Deanoko

Guest rsteere

Deano, You have a short in your high beam wiring. The breaker gets hot, trips, cools down and the lights come back on. The 3 places I would start looking are the bulbs them selves and the dimmer switch. If anyone has done work to the car lately you might look where they have been too.

Randy

Turn on the brights...check to see if one of the lights is not functioning at all or not at full brightness. If so, look for the short in that circuit. If all the lights are functioning correctly feel the dimmer switch or the wiring and check if it is hot to the touch. If so, you will find your short in close proximity. Dont disregard the possibility the breaker in the switch could be weak due to age.

When I am troubleshooting a short in heavy duty trucks and have no luck with typical procedures I bypass the circuit protection and watch for the smoke..not for the faint of heart but usually pretty effective!

Tom Mooney

In the garage with brights on it takes over a minute for the light show to begin.

While driving it is almost immediate.

Unplugging a high beam light stops it. Doesn't seem to matter which one. Reoccurs when all 4 lights are plugged in.

Purchased a new floor switch which made no difference in the problem.

Nothing obvious, so will do some more wire chasing when I get back from the beach. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a new headlight switch on order from CARS. I had just bought a new one in the low $20 range from the local Chevy muscle car repop parts guy which must have led to my problem, since I didn't recall ever having the flashing business going on prior.. It looked to be the same physically, but I guess it doesn't feature that more robust internal fuse that has been talked about (for twice the money)

Deano K.

63 Riviera

58 Chevy 2 door

55 MGTF 1500 72 Volvo 1800E

73 Volvo 1800ES