1939 Crome Strip and door thingy......

buick4547

My '39, as does all '39's, has a chrome strip located on the cowl about belt high between the hood and the front edge of the front door. The strip is only five inches long. This strip, located on the passenger side of my car, is severly dented due to the front door opening to far and bashing against the strip.

The door opens too far because the "keeper", or door "thingy" which keeps the door from opening too far is missing. I call it a keeper or thingy because I don't know its real name. I think it may be called a "door check" as referred to on page 1-6 of the 1938 shop manual. It controls the maximum swing of the door. It is basicaly a rod which is rived to a nub on the door jamb located low on the jamb. The other end of the rod is attached some how within the door. I haven't taken the door panel off to find that end. By the way, I could use some advisement as to the best way to remove the door panel, as well as removing the chrome strip with out damaging it further..

So to sum up, I'm looking for for the "Door Check" for the passenger side front door as well as the aformentioned chrome strip. I would greatly appreciate finding those items and some advise on removal of the interior door panel and removal of the chrome strip.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

The chrome strip comes off with a little help from a flat screwdriver. I see them on eBay from time to time. Here are a couple, though they are extremely overpriced. I know I've seen them in the $25-$50 range before:

1939 1940 Buick Trim Piece for Cowl between Hood & Door | eBay

1939 Buick Cowl Trim Strips; Pr.! | eBay

I'm not sure about the door catch part.

Jim,

To take the door panel off, you first have to take the inner window frame off, and they can be a hand full. There are "U" shaped clips @ the top inside the frame that are swaged to the holes that the attachment screws go thru. 3 @ the top of the door and one @ the back. There is also a wood block wedged in the trim molding up neer the wind wing top pivot point. Don't forget to put this back in place. Take all the screws out and pull down and out in the center of the window frame molding, when you have it out all around the top and sides, pull up.

Do not try to remove the door panel with out the proper tools and your manual. The cardboard the fabric is attached to is 70 years old and Lord knows how many times it's been wet.

Contact TP Tools & Equipment for their free catalog that has panel and chrome trim removal tools.

FYI, I was missing the drivers door limiting rod (thingie), and I made my own from and old hood rod we got @ the salvage yard. Be suprized what u can do w/ a torch and anvil.

Best Regards,

mike in Colorado

PS there is a guy in Texas that "straightens out" chrome trim. I'll try to find his contact info. He does faux wood painting too.

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)

Jim,

To take the door panel off, you first have to take the inner window frame off, and they can be a hand full. There are "U" shaped clips @ the top inside the frame that are swaged to the holes that the attachment screws go thru. 3 @ the top of the door and one @ the back. There is also a wood block wedged in the trim molding up neer the wind wing top pivot point. Don't forget to put this back in place. Take all the screws out and pull down and out in the center of the window frame molding, when you have it out all around the top and sides, pull up.

Do not try to remove the door panel with out the proper tools and your manual. The cardboard the fabric is attached to is 70 years old and Lord knows how many times it's been wet.

Contact TP Tools & Equipment for their free catalog that has panel and chrome trim removal tools.

FYI, I was missing the drivers door limiting rod (thingie), and I made my own from and old hood rod we got @ the salvage yard. Be suprized what u can do w/ a torch and anvil.

Best Regards,

mike in Colorado

PS there is a guy in Texas that "straightens out" chrome trim. I'll try to find his contact info. He does faux wood painting too.

Thanks for your help Flyer. And I will check out the tools.

In 2003 at Flint a 39 owner gave me one of those trims pieces

Ouch !! :eek::eek::eek:

It was only a few years ago that I bought a whole parts car for less than that. I wondered at the time if it was a good move.

Danny

I would be contacting Dave Tacheny. 1940 is likely to be same door thingy

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Door check strap!

Doesn't one end screw into the door pillar, and a nut with a rubber bushing hold it inside the door?

Cheers

Grant

The chrome strip comes off with a little help from a flat screwdriver. I see them on eBay from time to time. Here are a couple, though they are extremely overpriced. I know I've seen them in the $25-$50 range before:

1939 1940 Buick Trim Piece for Cowl between Hood & Door | eBay

1939 Buick Cowl Trim Strips; Pr.! | eBay

I'm not sure about the door catch part.

Thanks to you too, and all that responded. Yeah, I'd say $199 for 5 inches of chrome is a little more than pricey. I'll get some one to straighten mine.

Door check strap!

Doesn't one end screw into the door pillar, and a nut with a rubber bushing hold it inside the door?

Yep. Think I have some old & rusted door checks. The rubber can distinergrate. The image is of what is inside the door. Cannot find an image of the hinge - pin on the door frame. [must scan all my old photos some time]

post-51977-143138551709_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)