Great Day playing with a Buick

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

Was in Columbus OH. today getting a freinds 66 Wildcat with 5,800 miles out of long term storage and cleaning it up for him. It is such a joy and honor to be able to help maintain such a time capsule over the years. It is totally original right down to the original tires. It has only seen the light of day a few times since 1983 when he purchased it - it was to the BCA National in Indy in 86 where it recieved a BCA Sr & Best of Show Post War - was again at the National in 99 in Columbus and a Great Lakes Regional in Columbus, and other that that only out a couple times for logistical reasons. It is absolutley like driving a brand new 1966 Buick, simply amazing. Attached a few pics for your Buick viewing enjoyment.

post-30591-143138548088_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548097_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548107_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548115_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548123_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548133_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143138548141_thumb.jpg

Nice car and good job keeping it clean. I like that it was a best of show in a National meet. Most times a 4 door would rarely take the top spot. Congrats to your friend and good luck with this car.

Keith,

What a superb Time Capsule. I can understand why you had such a great day.

Thanks for sharing the photos.........what a treasure that car is for anyone wanting to know what is original when doing a restoration.

Your friend should pop into the Buick dealer that sold the car and check to see if the booking made for the 6000 mile service some 45 years ago is still open:D

Time well spent. Of all the distractions and ways to spend our time, sometimes the simplest activities are the best.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

What a nice car. One of my first Buick memeories is of my late uncle Toms 66 Buick. To be perfectly honest I cant remember if it was a LeSabre or a Wildcat, but I think it was a Wildcat. It was a 4 door with a white painted roof and was mint green instead of the blue of your friends car. But this car is probably the closest match to my uncles car that Ive seen in almost 30 years, and that car was my introduction to Buicks and I have to admit I was kind of sad when my uncle traded it in on his 75 LeSabre.

Sounds like you had a great day and Ive been reminded of a good memory.

Dan

Keith, Dan, John: This car was at the Great Lakes Regional last summer displayed by Keith's 72 Centurion and it's everything the pictures show it to be. It brought back my memories to 1966 when my parents bought one new. Blue Mist solid color and blue cloth interior. Ours had the chrome moldings around the side windows vs. this one. It was the car I learned to drive on and started my love for Buicks. My parents traded it for a new 69 Electra 225 sedan. Nice car but not the performance of that 66. Thanks for sharing.

OK Kieth: A question on this Wildcat sedan. I had a 66 Buick from new and it had thinner whitewalls. The tires on this car are 65 style yet the car has the WILDCAT letters rather than the earlier Wildcat script badges. I wonder if indeed the tires are the original why they are that size? Mitch

Guest my3buicks

Dave, that was the same owners 72 Electra (also light blue) that was at the Regional last summer, not this Wildcat.

Mitch, can not answer that, but it was not uncommon for manufacturers to use a couple different brands of tires - these are Firestone, and are without doubt original to the car. The spare tire is the same.

post-30591-143138549496_thumb.jpg

Keith,

You weren't trying to buy that car were you? Man is that thing nice. I bet that was a fun day. Thanks for the pics

Is it me or does it seem like most of these pristine original cars that pop up are 4 doors?

Guest my3buicks

I agree Jason, it usually is the sedans you see preserved like this. Typical little old lady car story.

No I did not try to buy this one, but I got it out and cleaned up as it is going to a new home shortly.