When does a classic become a hot rod

Dauphinee

A classic is, who knows what. There is no hard and fast definition. To the classic car club, an expensive car built between 1925 and 1941 but even there, there are exceptions.

A hot rod, well any modification could get you yelled at on this board. Let's say any modification from stock that improves performance.

A rat rod is a cheap hot rod. It is not a classic.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

One of the reasons I asked what is what is because I am thinking of putting in a signal light switch and seat belts into my 1936 Pontiac Deluxe 8. This would allow my kids to ride in the car and make it easier in the Buffalo Traffic.

I have been in other hobbies that sometimes when you change from the norm it upsets people and they stop helping you out.

I don't want that to happen in this case because since I have been on here I have received great information and help along my new journey in this hobby.

Dauphinee,

The best idea would have to simply asked about the addition of turn signals and seat belts. Your original question in this thread would not help you get the right answer about the turn signals and seat belts and also had a good chance of upsetting people.

The answer to your question about turn signals and seat belts would be that those would be allowed in AACA Judging as safety items, as long as they are installed with good workmanship, there would not be a problem with those.

Ok here is a question.

When do you consider a classic?

When does it become a hot rod?

When does it become a rat rod?

Is a rat rod still a classic?

To answer the questions:

A "Classic" (capital C) is defined by the Classic Car Club of America. In general use, a classic (lower case c), can be defined by the dictionary.

A car becomes a hot rod (street rod... custom... etc.) when the engiine has been replaced with something other than what it came with originally. Usually wheels and suspension are replaced at the same time. Individual tastes go from there just how radical it will get.

A rat-rod is basically a crudely-finished hot rod... rusty finish, tatty (ratty?) interior.

As far as a rat rod "still a classic?" That depends on your definition of "classic."

One of the reasons I asked what is what is because I am thinking of putting in a signal light switch and seat belts into my 1936 Pontiac Deluxe 8. This would allow my kids to ride in the car and make it easier in the Buffalo Traffic.

I have been in other hobbies that sometimes when you change from the norm it upsets people and they stop helping you out.

I don't want that to happen in this case because since I have been on here I have received great information and help along my new journey in this hobby.

The AACA accepts these additions as long as they are done in a craftsmanlike manner. Some people with a little bit newer vehicles have the luxury of addapting the signals into existing fender lights so there would be no outside changes.

Rusty, Thanks for the information.

You are correct..I was looking to find out where the line was so being a newbie I don't go over it and disrupt anyone's chi..

Hello Dauphinee, it is good of you to be concerned with this, as many will misuse terms and either look bad or irritate others. And this is a hot button issue with many people.

As West said, the term Classic was actually set by the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) in the 1950s to identify large luxury cars of 1925-48 as being set apart from regular "antiques" like Model Ts and As. The Antique Auto Club of America (AACA) identifies all vehicles 25 years and older as antiques, and both are clubs for restored cars in the spirit of original appearance.

Formerly people with authentic antique cars and street rodders with modified cars had separate activities and interests, but the two have become more closely related in the public eye and by virtue of their personality the street rod set is dominating the restored car set, and all are usually identified as "classic" cars, probably to use that word to confer status on whatever it is applied to.

So as a rule of thumb, if one is interested in transplanting modern drivelines, aftermarket wheels, or custom paint or interiors your car is a street rod (or hot rod). If said car is painted in primer or semi-finished in appearance or reality it becomes a "rat rod." There are degrees of difference but I think these are the high points--if you are interested in your car reflecting original appearance and original mechanical features then you are in the right place here, even with seat belts or turn signals added. And unless your car is to be a judged show car then those features are probably a good idea, just installed as unobtrusively as possible. Thanks for asking, ggod luck, Todd C