engine date code compared to production date

dmetzger

I have a 1956 chevy 265 engine built in tonawanda NY that is in my 57 chevy Cameo built in Califonia. The problem is the engine was built dec 5 1956 and the production date of the vehichle is feb 15. For judging purposes is the 70 days between the eng and the chassis going to be a point deduction? I can't find the rule on this but it would seam that if the engine was 2500 miles from the chassis it would take a while to catch up to the chassis. I have heard that anymore than 30 days can creat question as to number and date codes matching. Has anyone had a similar situation and can anyone forward me the rule on this?

Thanks for responding I am not sure except it is a yellow 265 engine which is an unusual engine as other than trucks all 57 were 283. Yellow was also only truck, that was why I thought it was correct but your point is logical. Have you seen engines in cars or trucks that are from a different plant? From what I understand 4 to 6 weeks is a max in days between parts so I am afraid that this gap would cost points or have a big impact on resale.

For AACA judging, it would not be a problem. AACA does not judge date codes or production dates. However, you should document that the 265 was available in a '57 truck. If not, that would be a deduction. You should post this question with what ever clubs you plan on showing the truck at. Each has different standards.

Thanks for your responce, I have since figured out that the engine is definitly a 265. It is unusual for a 265 to be in a 57 but I am told yellow is passenger and gray is truck. Did they build engines in California or just in Tonawanda and Detroit? What I am now wondering is if the engine had to go accross the country has anyone ran across this and does the 6 week rule still apply?

You could use the special Chrismas - New Years plant shutdown to buy at least a week given the engine production date and the body date. Seriously, there is no such thing as a "6 week" rule in AACA judging. Also, AACA has no requirement for matching numbers. All we require is that the engine in the vehicle was available in that vehicle from the factory. We further require that the engine appear as it did from the factory, including the correct color paint.

Keep up your research. If all engines in 1957 Chevy trucks were gray and passenger cars yellow, it indicates your engine has been changed. Keep on digging for the definitive answer and keep the documentation you find, especilly if you find that the yellow 265 is correct.

Check on some of the Chevy forums. I think you have a correct engine AND color. I had a 57 Cameo back in the 70's that was an original unrestored California built truck. Had a YELLOW 265 with three speed in it.

Talking to some of the guys that worked in the assembly plants at the time, you get plenty of first-hand information about how things got done... Some time with one of the CJE Chevy guys will also help clear this up... I have a name in mind, but better he respond if reading this thread-------??

Thanks to both of you for responding. I am just trying to make sure I end up with the best of the best. I doubt whether this truck will be sold but I fell that the time, cost and effort that will be invested I want to make the effort to get this truck as perfect as it can get. Who could I talk to that can detrmine what the time frame should be between eng production and the date on the back of the speedometer? I am told that would have been the last part installed. If anyone could help me dertermine if 70 days from engine production in Tonawanda and final production in California is within the norm for GM I would appreciate the effort. The good news is I am starting with a rust free california truck so My only concern is if I have the original or acceptably correct engine. I am not familar with CJE Chevy. How would I contact them and what other clubs or associations could you recomend I contact. Thanks agin for all the help.

Guest Bob Call

I don't think GM made engines in California, just assembly plant like Southgate. I believe that yellow is correct color for the truck 265. I believe the 283 was grey then later everything went to blue in trucks. Cars were red orange from 55 on.

Bob, I appreciate your help. At this point I am certain that they did not make engines in Califonia. I found a yellow 265 in a 57 staion wagon. This is why I have a concern that the yellow engine might be a car engine. I have had someone else tell me gray was the right color for the 265. Can you help me figure it out?

Guest Oracle

Chartreuse was I thought the 1957 265 colour. Engines were built in Flint Motor Plant and Buffalo or 'Tonwanda' Motor Plant, using castings from Flint Grey Iron Foundry. V-8 engines were also built by The McKinnon Industries Limited on St Catherines, Ontario using castings from their own fou8ndry. I think there was also a new engine plant in Brazil in 1957.

If the block was cast in Flint in December 1956 it would have been buillt-up in Tonwanda at least two weeks later after being railed. The engine would then have been railed again to either Oakland or Van Nuys assembly plants and could well have sat around in store pending the chassis being built...there may have been more of a demand for 6-cylinder trucks then. History has shown that people being people, they tend to grab the nearest compoents in store so items at the back can sit around also for some time.

While we are on the subject the longest gap between engine and car build date I ever heard of was the English Bristol sports car. Starting in the late 50s they bought Plymouth 313 and 318 engines from Chrysler of Canada. They would buy batches of 50 or 100. By the time the engines were shipped from Canada, put in store, and installed in a car it could be 1 1/2 to 2 years.

The cars were all hand made built to order and it took a while to use up a batch of engines. So you could have a brand new car with a 2 year old engine in it, by the time the car was finished and registered.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

1957 Chevrolet engines. 235.5 cid 6-cylinder was standard in cars and trucks. 265 cid V-8 was available in trucks and was available in cars with manual transmissions but not with automatics. 283 V-8 was available in cars and trucks. As for colors, I can't help you there.

Guest DaveCorbin

For Rusty's info and for the rest of you:

The reason that plants like Tonawanda exist is that a complete set of high volume machine tools for an engine like a 283 can easily cost 500-800 MILLION $$$. You can't afford more plants like that even when you're GM in the old days. Engines pack densely in railroad cars and ship well. It's a lot cheaper to ship than build an engine plant.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi Dave, any idea how long it would take them to get to california. I am starting to think I have an original engine. They say the norm is up to six weeks from eng build date to final production. I have an engine that is 70 days. Could that be correct in your oppinion?