Oct 29,1929 Packard Stock Certificate

Guest adry2151

I'm new here.

I recently found my grandmother's Packard Motor Car Co. stock certificate with the date of Oct 31, 1929.

Any idea of the value or the

best place to sell it?

thanks

VERY interesting date on that stock certificate, in my opinion. I wonder if she had speculated that things were going to bounce right back up, after what happened on October 24th and 29th?? Certificates usually don't go for a lot of money, but I'd certainly be interested in having it as a curiosity piece because of the date... plus, I love Packards.

Guest adry2151

YES, the date interested me too!

My grandmother came from a background of speculators/ in this case there are only 12 shares.

Perhaps worth more than the GM shares my husband and I bought as "speculators".

I had no notion of giving it away, but thought about selling it .

Guest adry2151

I was hoping someone here could steer me to a place that assessed the value of these Packard Stock Certificate.

I did find one online for close to $700.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place ! Does someone know a more appropriate site

to ask these questions?

I was hoping someone here could steer me to a place that assessed the value of these Packard Stock Certificate.

I did find one online for close to $700.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place ! Does someone know a more appropriate site

to ask these questions?

I think you're in the right place, but most certificates I see range in price around the $25-$35 level. I've also seen similar certificates where you could get up to 10 for around $35. I've seen them for advertised for $150, but they were nicely framed and matted with a photo of a car included, so most of that cost was in the framing.

As far as the $700 certificate, without seeing what you're referencing, I'd say that is a pipe dream. You can ask anything you want, it doesn't necessarily reflect its value or what it will sell for.

How many certificates do you have? Is it just one for the 12 shares? Or are there 12 certificates?

Personally, since it belonged to your grandmother, I'd keep it and frame it.

There was a guy from Pennsylvania who had literally hundreds of stock certificates from Studebaker and not so many from Packard for sale at the York meet 10-12 years ago. his prices range from $45 for the early ones to $15 for the late ones - I bought a nice Studebaker one to go with my car at the time - I must have given it to the new owner as I have not tripped across it in years.

Research on e-bay sold items would tell you a value based on the age and Packard name and being SOLD gives actual value based on at leat two peoples opinion.

I will say is that if it were MY grandmothers it would be cherished even if it would sell for a lot more than $700

Guest adry2151

Yes, I saw that one on ebay.

I've been googling trying to ascertain whether a particular date increases the value.

Whatever I decide, knowing the value is important.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Guest adry2151

I won't be selling it for the ebay price. IF I sell it, I'd need more incentive than that. Thanks again for your input.

I would frame it and keep it. I have an old savings bond that was given to me when I was born by my one Grandfather. It stopped earning interest years ago. I framed it and keep it in my office at home. Would not redeem for anything. Every time I look at it I think of the good times that we had together.

Guest adry2151

I THINK KNOWING THE VALUE OF A SAVINGS BOND OR PACKARD STOCK IS IMPORTANT REGARDLESS OF YOUR PLANS TO KEEP OR CASH IN.

aCTUALLY MY SON CAME TO VISIT AND I JUST SHOWED IT TO HIM..HE SAID"FRAME IT".

My grandmother did not give it to me rather it was passed down from my dad

who oddly never mentioned it...it was just sitting in a stack of other "impt" papers stowed away which i never bothered looking at until this past week.