'85 power seat switch

Guest TRivownr

Guest TRivownr

The several functions of my driver's side power seat weren't working, so I took the switch apart to clean it. I was able to do that, but now nothing is working. Has anyone else had one of these apart? Are there any tricks in reassembling it?

I've included a few photos for clarity. Sorry, the third one is a little out of focus.

Phil Cooley

ROA 7446

85 Riviera T Type

100_6002.jpg

100_6004.jpg

100_6005.jpg

100_6005.jpg

Guest TRivownr

I have continuity when the switch is apart, but not when it's snapped back together, which is frustrating. Each of the removable copper pieces has two possible positions. However, I don't see any difference in the function, no matter their position.

i would just get another one from a bone yard. i have never had good luck taking them apart

Yeah they're ridiculously common. I may be mis-recollecting but you might even be able to get a Dorman Help! unit at the auto parts store.

• 1 month later...
Guest TRivownr

After searching several auto recyclers, I finally found the switch I needed at our local Pull and Pay. I found it in a 1988 Caprice. There were about a half dozen mid-to-late 80s Cadillacs, an 85 Toronado, an 86 Paresienne, and 4 mid to late 80s Caprices in the yard. The only one with the switch I needed was that 88 Caprice (and I did check them all).

I put the switch in my Riviera and had 4 of the 6 functions. So, I carefully took the switch apart. I found the two directions that didn't work were hampered by dirt--the contacts were literally held apart by it. I cleaned out the dirt and relubed it with the excess of the original grease. I put the switch back together and everything works, now!

BTW, I took the original switch apart again--I had reassembled the electrical contacts backwards.

I concur with what what Phil has found. Not even 84 and 85 switches are the same. I broke a mounting tab on my '85 seat swtich and got the switch from the '84 I parted out. The mounting tabs were different. To get it to work properly, I had to mount it bacwards. It works fine, you just don't want to try to read the labels on the switch from where you're sitting unless you have a mirror. :D

Ed