Packard Speedster

CarlLaFong

This car is for sale on eBay. I dunno. I'm not feelin' it. The seller uses, nearly every superlative to describe the magnificent, custom, one off coachwork and the skills and vision of the builder. All I see is a half built, fairly mundane looking car. The cowl should be, IMHO, beaten out of one piece of alloy, not, crudely welded up. The radiator shell has few or no compound curves. No doors, no fenders, no tail some kind of floppy old suitcase behind the seats. Minimalist style must be a euphemism for unfinished. 85K seems a bit optimistic to me.

Could I build a better one? No, but that's why I, rarely venture outside of my skill level

Packard : Speedster | eBay

Very well done, SO FAR. If this is an unfinished car, as it appears, then most of it isn't bad at all. The ad seems to indicate that it is all done and good to go

"it is ready for its next touring event here in the States or anywhere else that great roads beckon and a striking entrance is required!"

Guest Foggy norm

How does the saying go...first impression...Yup, not finished. It strikes me as, someone with a pile of aluminium and a 27 chassis with a dream. The vintage part's jump out to me as do the not- so vintage part's. The talent and cratfsmanship are also obvious but very understated, wish there were more examples of metalwork.

I'm not familiar with the Mille Migla of Argentina, or NASCAR as that goes, but the underslung gas tank bothers me. Built in 2004, I would think some degree of modern safety would be incorporated. Overall, it strikes me as what american kid's have been making since the post war days, a hot rod, with a bigger budget than the shadetree kid's.

Just as those "kid's" back in the day, this was one mans dream of functional panache. Not sure if my budget warrent's $85k, for his dream.

I think you guys give too much credit. As Foggy was alluding to,it looks not much better than the typical homemade speedster body put on an A or T chassis when you don't have a body and then describe it as a rare one of a kind car that Henry should have built. The steering wheel looks like it came off a valve.

Guest Foggy norm

The "string" wrapping on the "valve" steering wheel alarms me also. Wouldn't enjoy snagging my thumb in that, making a quick turn.