New condensor/evaporator for '65 Riv???

Bluzharp

Can anyone direct me to a source for new replacement a/c condensor and evaporator? My system has been "open" for an unknown period of time and the shop I'm using says there appears to be "scaling" and contamination of the whole system. I apparently also need a "muffler" The only item I've been able to track down is the condensor, at Old Air Products, Ft Worth, and also Classic Auto Air in Tampa. $290, $250 respectively. Any opinions on cleaning/flushing the evaporator? It's in good external condition, with no leaks. Can the "muffler" be cleaned/re-conditioned?

Thanks!

Art

You have found the two best places for everything you need.

Quote:

My system has been "open" for an unknown period of time and the shop I'm using says there appears to be "scaling" and contamination of the whole system. I apparently also need a "muffler"

Once the A/C system has been open and there is contamination, you cannot clean/flush any of the components. They have become trash. You will have to bite the bullet and replace.

Bob Bonto #277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Depending on whether or not you want to stay "totally stock" there are a couple of outfits out there - Vintage Air and Old Air Products to name a couple - who can supply you with completely new systems for both the heat and cool functions. I know of a couple of guys who have installed the Vintage Air Gen IV units in first generation Rivieras. It really cleans up the engine compartment as well. When I get to my computer at home, I'll post a couple of pictures if you'd like to see what a Vintage Air installation looks like.

Ed

In regards to the muffler, can it be re-used? The AC muffler to my car has been off the car for a long time.

If I was going to use a muffler that was open to the atmosphere for an unknown or undetermined period of time, I would call Classic Auto Air and see if they can check/recondition it. Really not much to go wrong with the first gen mufflers besides getting surface rust inside. If present and left unattended to, these particles could break loose and wreck havoc somewhere down the line.

Classic refurbs many original A/C parts and I'm sure they could tell you over the phone what they can or can't do with the muffler. I rebuilt a complete A/C system that had been open for many years on a 67. I packed up and sent each component to them for testing and reconditioning. They were able to salvage every item.

Guest Rob J
If I was going to use a muffler that was open to the atmosphere for an unknown or undetermined period of time, I would call Classic Auto Air and see if they can check/recondition it. Really not much to go wrong with the first gen mufflers besides getting surface rust inside. If present and left unattended to, these particles could break loose and wreck havoc somewhere down the line.

Classic refurbs many original A/C parts and I'm sure they could tell you over the phone what they can or can't do with the muffler. I rebuilt a complete A/C system that had been open for many years on a 67. I packed up and sent each component to them for testing and reconditioning. They were able to salvage every item.

Thanks Jason. I guess that is what I'll have to do, as my AC system on my car has been open for many years. Compressor, condenser, muffler were all off the car and in the trunk when I bought it. I have not found the drier yet, but it still may be lodged somewhere in my boxes-o-parts.

Thanks Jason. I guess that is what I'll have to do, as my AC system on my car has been open for many years. Compressor, condenser, muffler were all off the car and in the trunk when I bought it. I have not found the drier yet, but it still may be lodged somewhere in my boxes-o-parts.

Dryers are available new. Probabely cost more to recon one, even if you could. Most condensers are pretty beat up from sitting in front of the radiator and catching rocks and bugs. These are also available new. Compressors can also be found new, but you have to look hard. Double pulley makes these even harder to find new than a regular A6, but I was able to find one for mine two years ago.

Guest Rob J

Just spoke to Curtis over at Classic Air. Real nice guy. Here's the deal. They can restore your stock condenser for $199.99, or you can buy a reproduction unit for $249. On the drier, you are right, it doesn't make sense to re-condition the old one. New ones are $70.00. $340 to rebuild and restore the A6 compressor, including replacing the factory stickers, and factory yellow tested Buick OK stamp. If you wanted the entire system rebuilt, gone through, checked, restored, ect... This includes EVERY single component of the HVAC system from the A/C interior controls to the duct work, to the heater core, muffler, evaporator, compressor, condenser, valves, hoses, everything it will run $2,200

He seemed to know the 1st generation Rivs well, and says they have been fairly popular lately with them.

Oh, and they can rebuild your muffler, regardless if it has been open for many years, and as long as it is not rusted through. He said they have a tendency to rust form the outside in, due to the rubber sleeve around them.

When the time comes, since I'm fairly close to them (3.5 hours away) I'll just take over the whole system to them. Being in Miami, I'm not going to skimp on AC in my car.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Thanks to all for responses to my A/C questions. There seems to be some conflicting opinions (What a Suprise!)) I've ordered an evaporator from Old Air Products in Ft. Worth, have a new expansion valve, dbl groove A6, drier, and have contacted Joel Haffner in St. Louis about rebuilding the hoses. Still trying to locate a condensor and muffler, and waiting on response from Classic Auto Air in Tampa, but my past experience with them has been VERY long turnaround time. Anyone else had this experience with them, or maybe I was just unlucky?? Im going to go ahead and replace the water pump and timing chain and sprockets while I've got the radiator and condensor out of the way. I understand you can eliminate the muffler, but it will be noisy without it. Also been told that there are filters that can be installed in-line to prevent contaminant damage to compressor, expansion valve, and evaporator. Anyone have any experience with these filters? I've already done the STV "update"

Thanks Again!!

Art

I know of a couple of guys who have installed the Vintage Air Gen IV units in first generation Rivieras. It really cleans up the engine compartment as well. When I get to my computer at home, I'll post a couple of pictures if you'd like to see what a Vintage Air installation looks like.

Ed

Yes Ed, I'd be interested in seeing the pictures. I considered going this way, but my car is original except for a 12yr old repaint, carpet, and headliner, so I thought I'd try to stay as close to original as practical. Wish I had the $$$ and time to do a custom, but only on a car that needed extensive work and I'd definately go the Vintage Air route on it, or one without factory A/C. Believe me, I'd LOVE NOTHING BETTER than to eliminate the needlessly complex vacuum controls, hoses, and reservoirs.

Art

Im going to go ahead and replace the water pump and timing chain and sprockets while I've got the radiator and condensor out of the way. I understand you can eliminate the muffler, but it will be noisy without it.

Bought my condenser off of ebay from CA. Check the archives for condenser. TA performance has a replacement water pump for the nailhead with a bearing in the front, rather than the brass bushing. When my pump went out, I put one of these on it. My AC guy said the muffler was unnecessary, so we eliminated it in my system. He has built AC systems for a lot of years, so I trusted his judgment. I can't tell the difference. And if your pipes are loud enough, you can't tell the difference anyway.

If you want to keep the original look but have a modern type a/c unit - cycling the compressor and eliminating the STV system, check this out. A fellow ROA member from AR has done this and says it works great.

Old Air Products - Home of the HURRICANE Heat, Cool, & Defrost A/C System - Stv Update Kit

Old Air Products also sells a "pro 6 ten" compressor that's more efficient, is made of aluminum, and looks like an OE unit (if you paint it black.) It can be had with a double pulley.

Ed