Plugs for the 320cid eng ?

FLYER15015

O.K. to kick this off, my '40 LTD runs ok, how ever, always wanting to improve the performance on this "driver", I will ask the question.

Has anyone ever tried E3.52 plugs in theirs ? Did you notice any improvement ? I've heard about the Pertronix (?) ignition and hot coils, but right now I'm thinking plugs.

Obviously I could do all 3 @ the same time, but I would like to do a semi-controlled test of one mod @ a time to actually see which mod does the best. Then I would think about doing all 3 mods.

And no, I'm not going to take her out to the "strip" and see what she'll do.

Only those with actual experience need respond. The hypotheticals could go on for ever, and muddy up this thread.

Mike in Colorado :o:o:o

BCA#45728

AACA# 994416

• 2 weeks later...

google is your freind: E3 Spark Plugs E3.53 E3 Spark Plugs

Increases engine power 8% to 12% over conventional spark plugs!

The unique patented electrode configuration of the E3 spark plug increases the amount of combustion pressure created during each power stroke of an engine, which results in a marked increase in power output, fuel economy, and reduced emissions in all gasoline engines. E3 Spark Plugs are Sold (each). ..

If they DID increase power GM, Ford, Toyota etc would be using them

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Geeeeeez,

110 lookers and no comments. What's up guys ?

mike

I would have thought the reason was obvious

Only those with actual experience need respond. The hypotheticals could go on for ever, and muddy up this thread.

Sorry, couldn't help pointing that out!!

But, I have replaced the points/condensor in my 1950 Super Jetback with a Petronix electronic unit and a matched hot coil. To be honest I haven't really noticed any difference. Maybe I need to get some of these you beaut E3 spark plugs although they don't seem to be available in Australia.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Well now, that's better. Three responses, all from our friends in "down under" land. Maybe the "yanks" are still asleep.

Stuart, E-3's sell in the states for $6-7.00 @ Advance/Checker auto parts stores. You can order them from Summit racing or Jeg's but I don't know their prices.

1939_buick, the reason our "big three" do not use them is the price shown above. Just like they don't use Bosh +2 or+4 plugs.

I never met a Detroit engine, that a Californian could not improve.

Best regards,

Mike in Colorado

BCA#45728

AACA#994416

Guest aussie buick

There seems to be a new company coming out every year claiming they have some new, great spark plug design set to revolutionize the industry and improve power and fuel economy. I'm yet to see any make an impact. Not that I wouldn't try, at that price it's not far off what we pay for a plug any way.

The theory behind bang for your buck with spark plugs is to get as much fuel mixture between the gap of the plug. At ignition it creates a chain reaction. The more molecules ignited first, the quicker the reaction occurs, producing more power and burning more completely.

The design of those spark plugs seem to close the electrode in which doesn't make sense to me. The last big claims I heard were from a company called brisk. Supposedly the were so efficient they produced an intense plasma at electrode, improving the chain reaction. Seen people pay big bucks for them, but they have all gone quiet.

I agree with previous comment, if any worked, especially improving power and economy by as much as claimed they would be used OEM. Buying them by the hundreds of thousands would reduce the cost substantially below what you are paying retail.

For the money the best results would be gained by using an electronic ignition and new coil but open up the spark plug gaps to make the most of the increased energy being supplied to the plugs.

Edited by aussie buick (see edit history)

Guest aussie buick

"The unique patented electrode configuration of the E3 spark plug increases the amount of combustion pressure"

Doesn't seem to make any claims of more powerful spark etc. Maybe they are relying on the earth electrode to increase compression by placing an incompressible mass in the combustion chamber? It sounds silly I know, but its the only reason I can think of to have that bulk hanging of the end of a spark plug. Such a small mass increase could potentially make a difference on a new high compression engine, but would be false economy as the ecu would retard the timing due to the knock sensor. Low compression will always be the enemy of increased power and economy in the big old buick motors and i think the small increase by the mass of this plug would be a drop in the ocean (if thats the theory!)

Edited by aussie buick (see edit history)

aussie buick,

I think you'r right. The only way the E-3 plug could increase the "combustion pressure" is that it fills up the combustion chamber with that big clunky ground (earth) element hanging off the end of the plug. More stuff=less volume.

As I first stated this is only "a test" to find out if I can develop a more smooth running engine and a bit more power than what was available "back in the day". If and when I have to tear down the motor, I will plane the head, port and polish it and throw the pertonics, hot coil and a set of platinium plugs in her.

When I replaced the cracked exhaust manifold, and rebuilt the carb, last fall, I did polish the intake manifold, using 1/8" wire folded over in my drill with 60 grit emery cloth sandwiched @ the end, as a "flapper". The inside actually got quite smooth, but of course it did not drop my quarter mile e.t. much. Ha. Ha.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado

BCA# 45728

AACA# 994416

Edited by FLYER15015
spelling (see edit history)

Guest aussie buick

My understanding of platinum plugs is that they are designed for longevity, not performance. You will find platinum plugs in the rear bank of v6 camry, Taurus etc. They used them in those applications so the plugs would last 80 to 100k (50,000+ miles) due to replacement taking around 8 hours labour in some vehicles due to their location in front wheel drive vehicles. Whilst they will do the job I have read journals stating that the performance is not equivalent to a standard plug.