Feragen Stop Meter - What do I have?

Guest Gary Hearn

Guest Gary Hearn

I picked up a Feragen Stop Meter (James Decelerometer) at a tool sale and hoped that someone may have some information on it. It lists both A.E. Feragen, Inc. of Seattle and Motor Wheel Corp. of Lansing, MI on the face. Apparently it was used to measure the distance it took to come to a complete stop at 20 MPH and then rated that distance from "Unsafe" to "Perfect".

Anyone know how it was used and what it might be worth?

GTGTrailer022.jpg

GTGTrailer023.jpg

Probably meant for garages to use in testing brakes. Notice the red triangle emblem at the bottom. When 4 wheel brakes became popular in the late 20s such cars were equipped with a red triangle "4 wheel brakes" emblem on the left rear fender.

The gauge may also have been used as a sales aid to demonstrate the superiority of the new 4 wheel brakes to the customer's old car with its 2 wheel brakes.

Guest Foggy norm

The only thing I can add is Motor Wheel produced wheels. Similar to Kelsey Hayes, they were mass producer of wheels. This may have been on one of their machine's for testing the wheel.

Guest Gary Hearn

Apparently the former owner of this was an engineer who recently passed away. His wife's cousin is helping to liquidate the contents of a detached garage, he has already sold $6K worth and the place is still packed. I also got a "Bendix Drive" 2 drawer parts bin with a slanted flip up top as well as a free air compressor!

"When 4 wheel brakes became popular in the late 20s such cars were equipped with a red triangle "4 wheel brakes" emblem on the left rear fender."

Never heard this before. Has anyone ever seen one of these emblems on a fender? Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the emblem on a front fender?

A guage similar to this one was used in MA. by all private state inspection stations up to about 1960 or so. It was required equiptment and you bought it off of the registry of motor vechicle inspector! However,

I have never seen one used but I have been told that they all had them!

"When 4 wheel brakes became popular in the late 20s such cars were equipped with a red triangle "4 wheel brakes" emblem on the left rear fender."

Never heard this before. Has anyone ever seen one of these emblems on a fender? Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the emblem on a front fender?

I have seen the triangle on the rear fender of many cars from the mid to late 20s. The idea was to warn following motorists to stay back, if they had an older car with 2 wheel brakes.

Chrysler was the first mass produced car with 4 wheel hydraulic brakes in 1923. Others followed. Ford and Chevrolet did not get 4 wheel brakes until 1928.

To follow up on Rusty_OToole's reply, the intent was to warn the driver behind you in an older two wheel brake car that you could and very possibly would stop quicker than he could.

I don't think that any manufacturer shipped a car with the triangular four wheel brake emblem. But it certainly was available as an after market accessory for people proud of their new cars to show of an otherwise hidden feature.

Guest Gary Hearn
Have you tested out your gauge? I believe the way they were used, is to lay the gauge flat on the floor, and at 20 MPH stamp on the brakes as hard as you can.

Not yet, but sounds like a good exercise when I take my daughter to swimming practice later today.