AC COMPRESSORS

Guest Jim Piro

Guest Richard D

The swash plate multi cylinder and twin cylinder York and Chrysler compressors seem to work fine, the A-6 Frigidare GM used from the 60s run forever. My guess is cost and/or size.

As Richard says, the old boat anchor A-6 compressors ran forever...as long as you kept oil in them. The six pistons had cast iron piston rings.

The later DA(DR)-6 units as used in our Reatta's, had Teflon piston rings. Great idea; until they peel off the piston.

Not sure what the current pumps are using, or what the replacement DR-6 units use for rings.

How come screw tyype compressors were never used in cars?
Only in recent times screw type beacme economic in small sizes. For industrial use screws have been used since the early 1960's. Petent was held in Sweden and only certain sizes could be made. (163 mm 204 mm 255 mm) Are oil injected with an oil seperator.

[i used to work be in the Isdustrail refrigeration industry] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_screw_compressor

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

134a molecules are smaller, which is why some older cars refit their hoses with lined ones. I have not heard of them leaking out of compressor seals but I guess that is possible. First thing I would do is find your leak before you start replaceing parts. How long does a charge last?

Over a year ago I replaced my compressor, orfice tube and accumulator for around $165.00 from TechChoiceParts.comAC with fast service and no problems. All new parts, not reman.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest Richard D
DA-6 was so bad that the HR (Harrison Redesign)-6 became the norm. Expect somday an original DA-6 will become "collectible"

My Fiero came with the DA6 compressor and at every 15,000 miles they would seize. Under Warranty they replaced four of them and the mechanic showed me the little round gray pieces of teflon that would come off the piston rings. He said the hard part was disassembleing the system to flush out compressor parts. I guess the HR6 does not use teflon rings.

Any Thoughts?