What year is this Pierce Arrow?

Guest irvsmith

Guest irvsmith

I have an old photo of what I believe is a Pierce Arrow touring car. I know it was sold out of the family in 1921, found the ad, so think it might be a 1920 or 1918. Can any one confirm the year and provide a more current photo of this model? I noted the headlight appears to have been mounted on the windshield?

Anyways thanks in advance.

David

post-74564-143138494305_thumb.jpg

Edited by irvsmith (see edit history)

Guest irvsmith

Hmm which model would you think it is? I figured since I found an ad from my family selling a Pierce Arrow in 1921 I thought it would be this car. See attached ad.

Thanks for your help in this.

post-74564-143138494495_thumb.jpg

Guest irvsmith

Boy it is a tough call for me - I found this image of a 1915 oldsmobile. Any characteristic which would make it definitive?

post-74564-143138494498_thumb.jpg

post-74564-1431384945_thumb.jpg

Irvsmith

It matches your red car photo. Hub caps and hood louvers are instant for me. Then, the body molding . You can see the body molding on the red car is the same. dont look at the stripes, Look at the molding. I make it to be a 1915 with a 112 wheelbase. In 16, they were longer at 120 wheelbase. Your catalog photo next to the red car is newer by a few years.

Guest irvsmith

Thank you both for your help on this. It does seem to match the 1915 Oldsmobile pretty well. I wish I could get access to their tax records and it probably would have the purchase information. In any case much obliged.

Now I need to see if I can find a picture of the Pierce Arrow they were selling. Interesting that in 1921 they had multiple cars.

David

Keiser, that pic you found is not a Pierce-Arrow, it is the one and only Waldon car. There is a short story with the picture which says it is a four but the Standard Catalog tells a slightly different story and says it is a V8. The only Pierce connection is that Waldon was a Pierce senior manager. Apperently it was part of the Barney Pollard collection in the 1960s.

I agree with the Olds identification. Of the pics irvsmith found, the b/w one is a '17 V8.

Keiser, that pic you found is not a Pierce-Arrow, it is the one and only Waldon car. There is a short story with the picture which says it is a four but the Standard Catalog tells a slightly different story and says it is a V8. The only Pierce connection is that Waldon was a Pierce senior manager. Apperently it was part of the Barney Pollard collection in the 1960s.

I agree with the Olds identification. Of the pics irvsmith found, the b/w one is a '17 V8.

OOPS...It was listed as a Pierce. Sorry.