1948 Chrysler Traveler

1948 Chrysler Traveler - (Price lowered to $1,900)

The good:

The Traveler is a high-end version of the Windsor featuring a wood luggage rack, special two-tone paint (Rossini Brown/Catalina Tan), “leatherette” upholstery, wood-grain dash and trim, hand-warmer rope on back of front seat, and fold-down armrest on the rear seat.

Travelers are rare. Only 4,182 were made between 1946 and 1948 and according to some sources only 12-20 are known to exist today. See http://scdclub.blogspot.com/2006/07/48-chrysler-traveler.html.

This car has the original engine, the Traveler features, and nearly all of its parts. While there is surface rust over much of the exterior, it really is surface rust (except for some rust-through at base of the trunk lid) and the body panels are quite straight and appear sound. It comes with the Mopar Model 802 radio, a shop manual on CD, and a few extra trim pieces. According to the last owner, the engine was completely rebuilt in the 1980s and has very low miles on it. Title is in my name.

The not so good:

It needs a complete restoration. It was parked outside and not started for at least 10 years. As a result, there is serious rust in the floor, trunk, and rockers. I also do not have the keys.

Car located in Portland, OR.

grancoupe1970@hotmail.com

post-71066-143138494172_thumb.jpg

post-71066-143138494174_thumb.jpg

post-71066-143138494175_thumb.jpg

post-71066-143138494176_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcmiller (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still interested in selling this car and willing to consider a reasonable offer. As an update, I can now turn the engine by hand although there is quite a bit of resistance. Also, all the plugs out of the head, in case you read about my misadventures with the stuck plugs in another thread.

I would hate to use this as a parts car, but if the bumpers and grill and the six curved pieces that run from the grill to the wheel opening are all perfect then I may consider making an offer.

I dont suppose you could use a Corvair van?

I'd hate to see it get parted out too, but I suppose it's none of my business after I sell it. I can't say that the parts you mention are perfect. The two top "whiskers" each have minor damage, but I have spares for those as well as a spare top grill bar, which is the part of the grill with the most corrosion. I think the bumpers would need to be replated to be perfect and I think the front bumper has at least one ding in it. I can send you some pictures if you are still interested and PM me. Thanks for the inquiry. Jeff

PS - I'm not looking for a van.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

You aren't serious are you? The last entry for this thread was over 2 years ago and your post doesn't even specifically address the for sale item. jcmiller only has 119 posts and probably hasn't been active for months.

Yep I am serious. I figured what could it hurt to ask. Not like there are tons of these cars out there....and he just may know some sources since he has owned one. What's wrong with that?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have had people email me or call me about 1931 Dodge stuff from the past. When you are dealing with a low production car or a car that is tough to find parts for, you do whatever research you can. It's the folks who don't do all they can to do the research who end up whining about "not being able to find the parts". Keep up the good research.

Thanks. That's what I thought too. Turns out jcmiller has replied to my other thread so I asked him there, too. I felt I didn't have much to lose....the worse he could do is say he don't know any. ..I didn't want to **** someone off. I would never be bothered by such a request myself. I enjoy sharing knowledge and sources with like minded people.

As you know we are just getting into these things..but I am betting we will have more old Mopar cars in the near future...and who knows...maybe a DB will present itself to us again when we have the resources....

Back to the traveler...wonder how many were sold in the west...seems it would have been popular in the rural areas where families were big and utility vehicles were in more demand...plus some farmers around here had some pretty fancy cars....Hubby's grandpa was a wheat farmer and got a new Oldsmobile every two years...and another relative had an overland Willys...and many had Cadillacs.....

Thanks. That's what I thought too. Turns out jcmiller has replied to my other thread so I asked him there, too. I felt I didn't have much to lose....the worse he could do is say he don't know any. ..I didn't want to **** someone off. I would never be bothered by such a request myself. I enjoy sharing knowledge and sources with like minded people.

As you know we are just getting into these things..but I am betting we will have more old Mopar cars in the near future...and who knows...maybe a DB will present itself to us again when we have the resources....

Back to the traveler...wonder how many were sold in the west...seems it would have been popular in the rural areas where families were big and utility vehicles were in more demand...plus some farmers around here had some pretty fancy cars....Hubby's grandpa was a wheat farmer and got a new Oldsmobile every two years...and another relative had an overland Willys...and many had Cadillacs.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I have had people email me or call me about 1931 Dodge stuff from the past. When you are dealing with a low production car or a car that is tough to find parts for, you do whatever research you can. It's the folks who don't do all they can to do the research who end up whining about "not being able to find the parts". Keep up the good research.
Because the Buy/Sell forum is clogged up already with Internet searchers who find an old AACA Buy Sell post from years ago and resurrect it simply to ask if the car is still for sale, the part etc. when that is the function of the PM or email function of the forum. Now the thread has a new life and is back to the top. The AACA administration should address this issue by automatic deletion of Buy/Sell or by disabling the ability to bring clearly dated concluded Buy/Sell posts to the top. We have all complained about this and it usually involves an individual with no desire to be active on the AACA forums, but rather, as mentioned, they have "found" a post that appears in a Google search and they become a "member" for about 20 minutes in order to see if so and so still has a car for sale years later. THAT is what PM or email is for. As to keiser stating that this happens to him all the time, well, that's because he has over 15,000 entries on this forum and that large footprint draws inquiries. I have over 5000 and I get at least 2-3 inquiries a week about an old post, BUT 99% of them come by way of PM or email thru the forum.

If you see an old dated post...don't read it...simple as that.

I am not just passing through. I have spent time in a few forums here....and I have read here for hours...and posted a bit. I see it as a good resource all the way around.

I didn't even notice what forum it was in...not that it mattered...I had just searched traveler.

I tried to pm but all the option I could see was add friend...which I did.

Because the Buy/Sell forum is clogged up already with Internet searchers who find an old AACA Buy Sell post from years ago and resurrect it simply to ask if the car is still for sale, the part etc. when that is the function of the PM or email function of the forum. Now the thread has a new life and is back to the top. The AACA administration should address this issue by automatic deletion of Buy/Sell or by disabling the ability to bring clearly dated concluded Buy/Sell posts to the top. We have all complained about this and it usually involves an individual with no desire to be active on the AACA forums, but rather, as mentioned, they have "found" a post that appears in a Google search and they become a "member" for about 20 minutes in order to see if so and so still has a car for sale years later. THAT is what PM or email is for. As to keiser stating that this happens to him all the time, well, that's because he has over 15,000 entries on this forum and that large footprint draws inquiries. I have over 5000 and I get at least 2-3 inquiries a week about an old post, BUT 99% of them come by way of PM or email thru the forum.

I guess the folks responding to this 2009 post have not caught on yet.

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/1920-cole-v-8-coupe-248523.html

Wow, sorry I didn't reply sooner! I work full time and have a family so don't have much time during the week to use the forum. As to the issue discussed here, I think a person has a better chance of getting a reply if they use the PM or email function because it is more likely the original poster will get it. On the other hand, I got a message in my email about the post so maybe there is no difference. I certainly don't understand why anyone would get up in arms about adW13's post and clog up the forum with a complaint about it.

Regarding the original question, I'll reply to adW13 directly.