Model 20 windshield bracket nuts

Guest Steve Hughes

Guest Steve Hughes

My Model 20 Hupmobile is missing a couple of the special screw headed nuts that are used for the windshield brackets and the dash to filler brackets. They are 12-24 thread and use a standard brass machine screw from one side and these special nuts on the other that when mounted look just like the 12-24 machine screw head.

I have been in touch with a guy that can make these, but the setup cost is the issue. Are any of you interested in a set of these? If we could get 8 or 9 guys to get a set of 12 used per car, then they would be about $4.00 each or $48 per set of 12. Is there any interest?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest Steve Hughes

Ken,

An acorn nut is not what I am looking for since I want this to match the original part. Restoration supply does have a similar part. They call it a "Tubular Post Screw". It is pretty much what this part is, except that it is 8-32 thread, and the head shape is much flatter. The nuts that I am referring to look just like the head of a round head machine screw once in place. When you look at the installed parts, you can't really tell which side is the screw and which side is the nut.

You should have these on your Model 20 Hupp. The brackets that hold the filler above the dash to the dashboard use these, as do the brackets that clamp the windshield in place. My car is a 1911 that has the flat top dash with the filler strip between the dash and windshield. The earlier models with the curved top dash may use different hardware.

Guest Steve Hughes

Karl,

I'll get some photos taken and get them posted tomorrow. This is a well preserved totally unrestored car, so I know that these were original equipment. I won't say for sure, but I would bet that the acorn nuts were used to make do when the original type fasteners were not able to be found.

I wonder how many other makes of cars used these same fasteners. That might be worth checking into in order to make the pool of possible interested parties larger.

Steve

Guest Steve Hughes

Ken,

I will try to post some pictures now. I had some trouble getting these to focus correctly, so hopefully you can see what these look like from these pics.

post-66042-143138486375_thumb.jpg

post-66042-143138486378_thumb.jpg

post-66042-14313848638_thumb.jpg

Guest Steve Hughes

Ken,

Yes, barrel nuts, or sometimes referred to as sex bolts. The marine supplies are all either chrome plated or stainless as far as I can see. Also they are using philips head rather than slotted. I've found some stock parts from Accurate Manufactured Products that are closer than anything else so far. Still not quite right though.

Dave,

I'll keep you in mind if I get enough interest to get some made. Thanks.

Steve

Guest Steve Hughes

kieser31: They have the flat edge like your A drawing.

Marv: Thanks for the tip, but I haven't found anything like that on ebay. If you see some listed again, would you please post a link to the listing?

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 month later...
Guest Steve Hughes

Well guys, I could only get about 4 people interested in getting some of these barrel nuts. That just isn't enough interest to justify the cost of having them made. I will need to figure out something different for the couple of pieces that are missing on my car. Thanks for the input.

Steve H.