New Buick Flagship (he said wishfully)

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I stumbled on this picture while surfing. Not sure where it originated but it would make one heck of a good looking rear drive flagship Buick. I can envision opening the garage door and seeing INVICTA by Buick on the trunk lid.:D

post-30591-143138445782_thumb.jpg

This was brought up over on the Buick Forum and somebody mentioned it was a new BuicK concept car rumored to possibly be labeled "Riviera" in 2013/14.

Guest Rob McDonald

Ooo yeah. The design boys are gettin' in the groove. Bentley Continental meets Maserati Quattroporte meets the new Lacrosse* (dumb name, hot car). I'm with Dave though - for too long now, Buick snouts have been a caricature of the '51. Time to move on.

It is technically possible to lean the grille the other way - check out the current Mustang and Charger - to catch a whiff of the '65 Riv, without slaughtering the aerodynamics.

(*By Steve Mertl, THE CANADIAN PRESS: Imagine for a moment you're a car-proud resident of some upscale Quebec suburb and you've got a brand new 2010 Buick LaCrosse in your driveway.

You beam as your neighbour comes over to admire the $40,000 sedan, with its sleek redesigned body and optional all-wheel-drive system. Until a smirk crosses his face as he mentions, carefully offhand, that LaCrosse is [Quebecois] slang these days for, well, pleasuring yourself.)

post-59990-143138446113_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138446113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

The car in the picture looks GREAT! My first reaction was that it'll be a variation of the new Cadillac XTS sedan (DTS replacement), but with a Buick front end on it. It would be worthy of "INVICTA" being on its deck lid, too!

The smooth/blocky front ends were in response to proposed Euro front styling standards to help minimize knee/leg injuries for pedestrians who were not yielded-to by some motorists over there. I don't know that those standards were implemented, but they tended to influence front end designs.

As Cadillac now seems to be chasing BMW in their model line-up, the XTS is still supposed to be front wheel drive, but other models are rear wheel drive. That leaves some Cadillacs aimed at BMW, others at Lexus, with Buick being aimed at OTHER Lexus models.

OTHER thoughts . . . as Mercury is now deceased, joining Pontiac and Oldsmobile, about the only alternative for similar vehicles for these now-disenfranchised owners, is CHRYSLER and DODGE. Just as no direct replacement for the Olds Delta 88, there's no direct replacement for the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria (at least in reality compared to Ford wanting the fwd/awd Taurus to be the designated replacement). Only American-brands with rwd (for consumer) sedans are Chrysler and Dodge (the new Caprice police vehicle is not supposed to be available to the general public, just yet, and only has the 6.0L V-8 in the first year). It would be "a stretch" to see these former Grand Marquis OR Town Car owners gravitate to Mustang, just as the former Delta 88 owners might not head to Camaros. AND, with Ford having the stated desire to cull the ranks of existing Lincoln dealers somewhat, FEWER sales points = less sales volume for a brand that's going to carry the banner for the upscale Ford brand that they're trying to increase the sales of!!!! Ford, like GM and Chrysler found out when they eliminated Pontiac and Oldsmobile and Plymouth, respectively, will suddenly discover (in a year or so) that not having similar products for EXISTING CUSTOMERS to purchase will lead to decreased total corporate sales.

It seems that far too many car company executives think the customer will automatically purchase available Lincoln MK_ models just because they're still "Lincolns" (even with some "loyalty cash" incentives) . . . BUT GM found out that didn't work with Oldsmobile customers so why should Ford think it might work for Lincoln customers? I also somewhat doubt that existing Saturn, Hummer, or Pontiac customers readily jumped to existing GM brands. My guess is that GM has/will cumulatively lose about 400,000 existing customers from its brand deletions, starting with Oldsmobile (Olds was about 250K/year, when the "year after" GM sales figures were released--similar with Plymouth, although the bulk of Plymouths at that time were MINIVANS). 400K vehicles selling for about $25K+ each is one big bit of "chump change"! As with so many "modern business plan orientations", though, the easiest thing to do is "cut" rather than revise and rebuild with great products. From my perspective, Olds could have been easily re-oriented (toward Chrysler, Jaguar, and Infinity) with LITTLE additional investment from then-existing levels . . . BUT the "powers that were" at that point in time seemed to have it in their heads that Olds must go (a remnant of 1992) . . . and the rest is history.

Sorry for that diversion . . .

WE can only hope that the above-pictured BUICKS will see the end of an assembly line . . . two door and four door models . . . giving US and many others BUICKS THAT WE'D LOVE TO PURCHASE AND OWN!!!!!!!!!!! (provided, of course, that they were in the $30-$40K price range; rwd with "G80 Locking Differential" and EPA Highway fuel economy of "30mpg with a V-6/V-8 engine" would be icings on the cake)

Respectfully,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Funny how model names can have regional connotations and handicaps that car makers may not discover until they've launched the line. "Lucerne" might be another example. In the western cities of Canada and the US, California-based Safeway had a virtual monopoly on the grocery store business from WWII until about twenty years ago. Around here, anyway, their dairy goods have always been sold under the Lucerne name. Maybe that's a positive association, according to marketing focus groups - pure, white, sanitary, chilled. Lucky, I guess, that we didn't get the related sub-series names too - Skim, 2% and - the mind reels with inappropriate jokes - Homo.

We had Safeways in TX, too, until some corporate things merged them into what (I believe) is now Kroger. "Lucerne" had a decent connotation, perceived to give value to the store's house brand products, which were generally a pretty good alternative to the name brands of the time.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Invincta and Riviera!! Need to see those names come back. The names "Lucerne" and "Lacrosse" need to go in the dumpster.

Lacrosse has.....here in Canada:

VANCOUVER, B.C. - Imagine for a moment you're a car-proud resident of some upscale Quebec suburb and you've got a brand new 2010 Buick LaCrosse in your driveway.

You beam as your neighbour comes over to admire the $40,000 sedan, with its sleek redesigned body and optional all-wheel-drive system. Until a smirk crosses his face as he mentions, carefully offhand, that LaCrosse is slang these days for, well, pleasuring yourself.

The whole link here

I find it odd the number of people that want the "Invicta" name used again. It was only used from 1959-63 on a mid-level car. Most non-Buick car nuts don't even remember the name, let alone the general public. Sad to say, but fewer and fewer people are around that remember 1963 new cars. I would think Wildcat or Electra would be far better choices.

Nice concepts, but I would be surprised if they saw production. If they do, I bet they won't be hardtops. Introduced by GM, it seems to be something only foreign manufacturers can build now.

Guest my3buicks
I find it odd the number of people that want the "Invicta" name used again. It was only used from 1959-63 on a mid-level car. Most non-Buick car nuts don't even remember the name, let alone the general public. Sad to say, but fewer and fewer people are around that remember 1963 new cars. I would think Wildcat or Electra would be far better choices.

Nice concepts, but I would be surprised if they saw production. If they do, I bet they won't be hardtops. Introduced by GM, it seems to be something only foreign manufacturers can build now.

I think we like INVICTA for it's fresh, crisp and commanding sound. It sounds impressive to even say the name. The Invicta like the Wildcat was more than a mid level car, it was an excitement builder - it got people into the showrooms to look at the bankers hot-rod/gentleman's hot-rod and then they either bough up or down depending on their budget and needs. I personally think Invicta still sounds fresh for today's market, as possibly Electra still might. Wildcat is just not a name that is going to fly on today's market demographics. And let's face it. the market Buick wants and needs to capture are not the ones that would remember the old Buick names anyway.

I concur, Keith. It's not about who still remembers former Buick model names or which one was which, it's about something to grab the attention of a new breed of Buick buyer. This way, they get BOTH groups with "Invicta" rather than Wildcat or Electra.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I find it odd the number of people that want the "Invicta" name used again. It was only used from 1959-63 on a mid-level car. .

I think you are correct. Keith mentioned in another post he thought INVICTA was a good Buick series name and it raised my eyebrows.

I don't know the source of INVICTA and this was confirmed by Buick stylists and market folks in 1962. Dave Holls said in an interview on "why Wildcat?" --> "we chose the name Wildcat because no one knew what an Invicta was. Invicta? What the hell is that?"

But since I have had a chance to chew on it and I think in the modern sense Invicta would be a great name. It sounds imposing now, maybe it did back then too. It would be interesting to see where Buick got these names. We know Lesabre from the show car but Electra and Invicta?

Guest my3buicks

Here is the actual meaning of Invicta : "undefeated or unconquered"

That definition pretty nicely goes along with my earlier thoughts on the name.

Guest Rob McDonald

There was (is) another Invicta, built in England from the '30s to the '50s, then revived recently. The early ones were expensive sports cars, in the Aston Martin mode, then they grew into very stylish grand tourers after WWII. Awesome post-war model name - Invicta Black Prince. Don't know anything about the new ones but they're not bad looking, in a last-series RX-7 way.

post-59990-143138449851_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138449852_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138449854_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138449865_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

Buick has not forgotten the I N V I C T A name (it really needs the spaces, don't you think?). Mind you, I'd forget the concept car if I was in charge. Too much like that what's-it-trying-to-be X6 BMW.

post-59990-143138449867_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138449869_thumb.jpg