57 Olds oil bath air cleaner replacement

Guest Julian

Hey guys.. any suggestions on what other air cleaner that I can use to replace the oil bath on my 57? The oil bath is a messy deal and weights 40 lbs. lol.. I have one from a 67 Delmont 425 car but the carb opening is larger than the 4GC. any suggestions... How about those after market "bat wing" air cleaners?? want to put a paper element type on it..

Find one from a 65-earlier car that uses 4GC and you should be OK. For that matter a 61-65 base plate will work with the 1967 top. Just be aware the filter elements are getting kinda scarce, though if you needed one I could probably find one somewhere (I was told I cleaned the WIX warehouse out of those elements about 8 years ago).

Use it for daily use and if you show it put the oil bath back on.

I also pulled the center out of my bat wing and replaced it with a standard paper element. On a 55 olds this adaption causes the bat wing top to be very close to the bottom of the hood, make sure the wing nut on the filter body doesn't contact the bottom of the hood and make a dent. You may not have this problem on a 57 but keep it in mind if you try it....Tedd

hi, better solution is to change the carburetion over to the 57 olds J2 set up with the large round dry air cleaner, more horsepower and looks much better too. i have owned two 57 oldsmobiles with a J2, a ninety eight starfire four door holiday, and a golden rocket eighty eight two door holiday, boy i wish i still had them both today. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

how bout a 6x2 set up.. I know a guy locally that has an old Edlebrock 6x2 set up for the 371. Has intake and carbs no linkage. The intake has never been run..just bolted up..:) any idea how much that might be worth??

Why can't one just remove the factory filter element, and install a paper filter? That is what I was able to do with my '55 Caddy. I don't have the number handy, but Wix made a paper filter that fit like a charm!

I did that with my 1957 Pontiac. I had room inside the housing for an Edlebrock chrome air cleaner from the parts store, now I have a clean, easy to handle paper filter and no one can tell. Todd C

• 2 months later...
Guest Julian

found what I was looking for at autofair a couple of weeks ago.. I found a Pontiac air cleaner from a 421 PonTon that is shaped just like the olds oil bath with the correct 4gc throat size. looks good...

found what I was looking for at autofair a couple of weeks ago.. I found a Pontiac air cleaner from a 421 PonTon that is shaped just like the olds oil bath with the correct 4gc throat size. looks good...

Julian, you are showing your age. I have not heard the term "PonTon" in ages!

Guest Julian

Julian, you are showing your age. I have not heard the term "PonTon" in ages!

YEP.. as each day goes by with the current enviroment I want to return to those days....the older I get the less tolerant I am becoming...is it me or just the way it is???<!-- google_ad_section_end -->