Buick: The New Soul of GM

Centurion

I thought that it was worth sharing today's editorial from GMinsidenews.com.

I'm reminded of a quote attributed to one of GM's great leaders -- Alfred P. Sloan -- from the distant past. ""it was Buick that made any kind of General Motors car line worth talking about."

Buick: The New Soul of GM

The Volt is great, but Buick's transformation is more profound.

www.GMInsideNews.com

January 25, 2011

By: Nick Saporito

IMG_4828.JPG

During the North American International Auto Show earlier this month GM North America President Mark Reuss provided the press an interesting quotable. He said that the Volt and things like it have to be the soul of the company. That got me thinking. While I can understand--and appreciate--Reuss' comment, I have to disagree. The new soul of General Motors is rearing its head in another part of the company...Buick.

To the buying public, painting the Volt as the epitome of the new GM makes sense. The Volt is a terrific product, a technology showpiece and it brings a host of positive PR to a company that desperately needs it. The thing is, despite all of the screw ups GM made over the years, we already knew GM had this uncanny ability to deliver a moonshot product admit utter chaos throughout the rest of the organization. Saturn, OnStar and now the Volt have all proved that GM can pioneer moonshots through mass amounts of beauacracy. That soul has always been at GM.

As someone that has been further on the inside of GM over the years (albeit minimally), I have witnessed something miraculous over the last two years - in particular with the Buick brand. Unlike the other GM brands, the entire Buick team seems to be on the same page. Compounding that with the immense amount of passion within GM for the brand left me leaving NAIAS with the opinion that the soul of new GM rests in their comeback kid, not another moonshot.

This year that became even clearer for those of us in attendance at NAIAS. Buick revealed the all-new Verano compact car and, to be frank, I was expecting to be disappointed. The specifications of the car looked good, but many of us were of the opinion that it was taking Buick to a new low – a low that it should not be participating in.

Then I talked with Verano lead engineer Jim Federico and he told me how they were pushing hard to make the car’s seven-inch LCD touch screen standard on the car. Then he said they were already reworking the 2.0-liter turbo before it launches in the Verano next year and that the Regal Turbo will get the revisions as well. At that point I was saying to myself, “Wow, they really do get it now.”

Of course we’ve been getting inklings of Buick’s full comprehension to their previous mistakes lately. The LaCrosse sedan has seen constant improvements since its 2009 launch. Firstly, GM dropped the anemic 3.0-liter V-6 and now they are making eAssist (light electrification) standard on the four-cylinder to boost performance and fueleconomy. All of the sudden it seems Buick is making a whole lot of sense here.

On my last day in Detroit for the show I talked with Roger McCormack, the Director of Product Marketing for Buick over breakfast. McCromack—like the rest of the Buick folks—made it clear that the brand wants to tackle fun, niche segments once the mainstream lineup is revitalized. He casually asked, “What do you think about a convertible?” Similar remarks came from Federico.

Those teasing remarks at the future are one of the largest indicators of the passion that exists in New GM for the Buick brand. When the marketing, engineering and design staff cannot keep quiet about the future, we know that is a cue that good things are indeed coming soon.

It is a candidness that is missing at the other GM brands right now. Cadillac is consistently sending mixed signals with a product lineup that is veering into Buick territory at one end and producing the world’s fastest sedan at the other. Chevrolet is too large and too mainstream to exhibit the passion that Buick currently possesses within GM.

After meeting the Buick team, it comes to no surprise that they are hitting home run after home run with new products right now. There is an immense drive and passion for the brand internally and I am of the opinion that people do their best work not strictly off of intellect, but off of passion for what they are producing. On top of that, they all appear to be on the same page with the same goals for the brand.

It isn’t all roses just yet (remember those halogen headlamps are still there), but Buick is starting to represent the first GM division to have a no-excuses lineup for the first time in decades. It is for that reason I say Buick is the new soul of GM.

Here's the link: Buick: The New Soul of GM - GM Inside News Forum

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Guest 827GFZ73

Thank you, Brian, for posting this very interesting article. In this age of brand casualties, there seems to be at last a glimmer of hope. All old time Buick fans who thought that nothing produced after the 1972 model year is exciting could now cheer up.

Joe

827G, with all due respect, they'll not "cheer up" as the basic lineup is still 4-dr sedans and SUVs, of which the majority are front wheel drive vehicles. The 2-dr couples and convertibles these people seem to feel are "The Saviour of GM/Buick" are still "dreams", unfortunately. I'd like to see another Buick convertible, but NOT something in the "kiddy-car" size class.

To me, the CTS coupe is too small, yet the larger Camaro coupe/convertible is not very user-friendly for more than 2 people. But at least the Camaro convertible will generate a convertible top structure which could be used on other vehicles.

Regarding the "anemic 3.0L V-6", when I found a 2010 LaCrosse CXL in the Emerald Aisle Executive Selection at DFW, back just after the cars had been introduced, I snagged it for a weekend trip. To me, the 3.0L and 6-speed automatic were well-matched and performed pretty dang well. The one time I kept my foot in it, the engine grabbed for ever-higher rpms, as the 6-speed automatic did it's thing to keep up and help, and the rock-solid body structure atop a nicely-firm chassis calibration kept everything under control and complimentary. It certainly was NOT anemic. Of course, the reason for the 4.05 low gear ratio is to get the engine out of its "weak" lower rpm level quicker . . . just like 4-cyl Hondas, but better . . . but once it got to "cookin'", it kept it up I decided to see how fast I was going (well past 80mph!) and backed it down (on a no-traffic country road). Interestingly, though, the larger 3.6L V-6 gets better EPA fuel economy ratings, as if all of that extra power is at little additional cost. Plus, the trip recorded a solid 30mpg average, with no pains being taken for max fuel economy.

In many places, I've noticed a seemingly greater reverence for the Buick brand. Understandably, when Buick is doing well, GM's fortunes will also do well . . . by observation. Perhaps I've missed some other signals, but I haven't seen the same level of reverence when GM's other carline brands have been mentioned. BUICK was the first carline in Billy Durant's General Motors architecture and that makes it special for many people, moreso in Flint, MI!

Thanks for posting that article, Brian!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Yay!

The thing that gets me is the comments about Buick being a brand for the elderly. That may be so in many ways, but I know as I age, I have less tolerance for discomfort and things that don't work. Perhaps those older buyers are onto something. The other part of that is that the lineup has, until relatively recently, had interesting vehicles that were more youth-oriented. I suppose '99 was the last 2 door with the Riviera, and that is getting to be a while ago now, but the 70s (think GS, GSX), the 80s (turbo...GN, Reatta), and the 90s (last generation Riviera, superchargers) have all had some two doors, performance oriented cars. Go fast with class.

Anyway, this is a nice piece to read.

If you are looking for a CAR that will pull in non-GM owners, it is certainly the Volt. But, if you are looking for a BRAND that is pulling in what they like to call 'conquest' buyers, it is Buick and Cadillac.

With the certain exception of the Corvette, and the likely exception of the Camaro and the Volt, Chevy will never be the 'cache' brand of GM. It will likely be the price-leader, rental car brand of the distant future.

I will wait to see if GM has now built cars and trucks that don't start to self-destruct at 4-5 model years and 70-80,000 miles. If so, I may buy a new GM vehicle in the future. But, the pile of VERY expensive repair receipts I have for my last few GM cars tell me I won't be buying another GM car any time soon.

Joe

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

2012-buick-verano-opt.jpg

15-2012-buick-verano.jpg

The comments from the 20-somethings are 50/50 encouraging on the Autoblog stories below.

Great-aunt Eunice might even like the new Verano, I know I do; if I was looking to buy new,

I'd certainly give this one a try. GM/Buick is not alone in making cars that need high-dollar repairs,

and I'd rather support their efforts than just give them a blanket trashing. But then,

I don't have handsful of expensive receipts, either.

It's a pretty car, for modern.

Officially Official: 2012 Buick Verano is one part Cruze, one part Regal — Autoblog

Detroit 2011: 2012 Buick Verano is quietly powerful — Autoblog

TG

“What do you think about a convertible?”

OH YEAH! Did someone say "Wildcat"?

As far as the new cars, sure it's attractive with a beautiful interior, but honestly, change the emblem and it could be a Hyundai, Toyota or Ford. Windtunnels have made all new cars look alike.

Wait until the BCM in your Chrysler product starts to self-destruct, slowly, but it'll happen. If the dome lights start staying on as the alarm system (a separate controller) self-activates (with a longer than normal horn chirp), better plan on a new BCM. Or the dome lights stay one when you shut the door, but with no door symbol illuminated on the Vehicle Monitoring Screen. Of, just a dead battery after sitting for a few days, or overnight.

I recently purchased a 2000 GM W-car with 95K miles. 3.4L V-6 runs quietly and smooothly. Interior is certainly more "like new", plus the carpets, than I would have expected. It's obviously had decent care in its earlier life, but CARFAX also says it spent its first 20+ months as a rental vehicle. Did I mention EPA Highway of 32mpg? Certainly NO self-destruction here, at least not yet. But I paid a reasonable-enough price that some repairs (including tires and possibly front struts) can be afforded. Did I mention that the radio still sounds great!

But things can kind of be like some of the tire reviews I've found on TireRack.com's website. There can be rave "I LOVE these tires" to "NEVER buy these tires! Only got 25K miles against a 60K warranty" sort of things. Or "These tires are great in the rain" to "These tires hydroplane too easily". Different conditions, different drivers, different expectations . . . with all due respect. No intention to motivate some to list the many repairs they've had to have done, but just a mention that "Your experiences may vary . . ."

Everybody likes trouble-free vehicles that "don't break", understandably so. Years ago, I heard a mechanic say that "A Chevrolet gets to be a really good car after the warranty period ends" (back when the basic warranty was 12/12000). Not specifically that everything got fixed under warranty, but also that after the warranty period, people might get a little less picky about rattles and wind noise issues, for example.

Respectfully . . .

NTX5467

Buick has been maligned as an "old folks brand", often scorned by the younger people as a new car choice for them. Sure, the grandkids might want something more "exciting" than a Buick or Mercury or Minivan, but there IS some wisdom to their grandparents' choice of Buicks for their vehicles.

As their grandparents are very possibly on a fixed income, possibly not much more than the grandkids might be making in their early jobs, cost of repairs and amount of repairs can be an issue, just as fuel economy and longevity can be. In other words, different generations BUT highly similar financial concerns. In the case of the Buick 3800 V-6, the oil change would take a MAX of 5 quarts (usually spec'd at 4.5 quarts, in many cases) for an oil and filter change. Many Buicks from the 1990s and 2000 eras have 15" tires, which are less expensive to replace than the later 225/60R-16 size or larger 17" or 18" tire sizes. Position the 5 qt oil change against the need for 6 or 7 or more quarts on many of the later "high-tech" or "high-feature" engines (even V-6s!).

Then there's the built-in fuel economy attributes of the BUICK 3800 V-6 engine. Almost every one built had an EPA Highway of 28+mpg, generally higher, though. Plus the 2000 era LeSabres (last generation) that would easily knock down 30+mpg (highway) in real-world situations . . . as a normal matter of course. Size, comfort, cargo space, and 30+mpg to boot!

Now . . . for the "urban legend" that "young folks" don't buy Buicks . . . I don't know what others might be seeing, but I see LOTS of younger people in Buicks--especially 1997+ Centurys. After I was considering purchasing one, in my quest for 30mpg Highway, that I suddenly realized that they are EVERYWHERE down here. If you might see one with all of the wheel covers on it, it usually will have an older female driver . . . if the wheel covers are gone, a younger driver from a young family that needs basic transportation rather then perfect cosmetics. And that wheel cover-less Century could well be seen parked next to a "residence" out on a few acres of land in the country (more less expensive than "in town"). And I've seen some 30-somethings that obviously wanted a comfortable every-day car that didn't cost too much to buy. OR the young professional that purchases a used "program car" Regal for about $16K for their 30+ mile commute to work (one way).

It might be true that the grand parents would purchase new Buicks, BUT it's been my re-confirmed observation that as a Buick changes hands throughout its lifespan, the age of the owner drops significantly with each trade-in cycle. As these younger owners age, if they liked their Buick, then they CAN become buyers of newer, used Buicks and very possibly a new Buick one day. A Buick that's been in a rental fleet can expedite the sale of that Buick to a younger age demographic buyer, too, by observation . . . doing so several years sooner than if it had been a normal retail purchase. Other than age demographics of NEW vehicle purchasers, I don't believe that age and demographics are tracked for used vehicles in the same manner. Not unlike uniform companies not tracking to see if more large waist sized pants might be used by one type of worker (or municipal employee, with all due respect--PM for details) than a worker in another line of work.

But all of this still leaves the "no convertible", "no 2-door models", or "no station wagons!" conversations.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest 827GFZ73

Hi NTX5467, my favorite body style has always been and will always be the 2-door hardtop. As far as...the reality of today is concerned...

"no convertible": The federal government (with their threat of imposing roll- over standards) and insurance companies killed that market off eons ago.

"no 2-door models": Leave this one up to the yuppies of the '80s who were totally enamored by the imported sports sedans. They love their 4-door, 5-Series bimmers. Remember when the all new 1988 GM W-body cars that almost bombed on the market because they were only offered in 2-door coupe form? In fact, they had to hastily add 4-door sedan models for 1990.

"no stationwagons": Soccer moms prefer Escalades as their status symbols and would not want to be caught dead in an Estate Wagon.

Times have changed. It's a wonder that Buick Motor Division is still alive. I have to hand it to them for trying to remain on the market by attempting to stay competitive. Maybe they should try harder in the process to satisfy the old time Buick fans as well. In order to accomplish this, Buick will have to make some money from their bread and butter lines first. To fulfill that quest, they will have to cater to the younger folks who comprise the bulk of the market.

Joe

New BCA Member

1973 Buick Regal

Edited by 827GFZ73 (see edit history)

When the rollover protection standards came out, Mercedes put a spring-loaded roll bar on their convertibles. It would deploy (when the sensors allowed it to) as the car began rolling and would be fully-deployed by the time it was needed to be in place. I never saw it work, in videos, but credible sources said that it did, going up about as fast as an airbag deploys. YIKES!

I like 2-dr hardtops, too, for the fact that there's NOT a wide B-pillar blocking my vision as I look back to check for blindspot-area vehicles before changing lanes. But when the wheelbase becomes too short for a 2-dr to have decent accessibility to the rear seat, that makes 4-doors MUCH more practical, even for loading and unloading groceries.

On the W-car coupes . . . they didn't seem to sell nearly as well as they probably should have. When I looked at a Regal 2-dr up close, back then, there were places were GM's design people didn't quite live up to the "better" design standards for Buicks. After I did that, I kind of understood why they weren't selling. And that four-place seating option? WOW!

Funny thing was that after GM and Ford backed away from that market (due to "no sales"), the Toyota Solara coupe suddenly appeared and sold decently well. That almost made GM's exit appear "orchestrated" (put a vehicle in that market slot, but don't make it look as good as it probably should be, interior-wise, so it will not sell as well as it might--look at what happened to Camaro/Firebird sales when they started NOT spending money on interiors and product refreshes, or Ford with the T-bird/Cougar coupes the few years before that line ended.). Such orchestrations might have their place (as in the tooling of the T-bird/Cougar/Mark nearing its useful "end", with no replacement models planned, but which let the Cougar have a "30th Anniversary Edition", so the end of each of those three models was modulated so they all didn't end at once, but sequentially). By observation, many of these things are planned well in advance, but the public might not realize it. This can be the subject of a complete 'nuther discussion.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest 827GFZ73

NTX5, another factor is that great automotive personalities such as Bill Mitchell (a stylist with gasoline in his veins) and Bunkie Knudsen (a general manager who turned Pontiac from an old maid's car to a brand responsible for the "first" muscle car) are long gone.

Yes, the CTS coupe is small. Say, how about a coupe version of a restyled DTS, which needs some serious updating anyway. How about resurrecting a name with a romantic chime like "Coupe deVille" for that one? Guess it wouldn't go over too well with the younger set who prefers letters and numbers for names.

Well, I will conclude with a song by Seals and Crofts, "We May Never Pass This Way Again".

Joe

New BCA Member

1973 Buick Regal

At one time, Cadillac operatives said that the DTS replacement would be a "name" car rather than alphanumeric. Of course, "DTS" = DeVille Touring Sedan, "STS"=Seville Touring Sedan, "SLS"=Seville Luxury Sedan, and my all time favorite Cadillac model name . . . "ETC" = Eldorado Touring Coupe.

There is a website for the Cadillac XTS, which is supposed to be what Motor Trend stated would be the "DTS and SLS replacement vehicle". It looks pretty good, but GM has disavowed any approval of it, but I think it'd be fantastic . . . IF, like other GM cars in pictures, the production versions always look much better in person than in print. It's supposed to be about the size of a BMW 7-Series, so it'd be just about right to have a productin 2-dr version . . . probably could get some conquest sales from potential Jaguar coupe owners, or existing CTS owners who want something larger to take another couple with them on excursions . . . even existing Dodge Challenger customers who want something more luxurious in a larger coupe (which Chrysler doesn't build as of yet).

ONLY thing is that the XTS is supposed to be fwd and have V-6 power? That would be the 3.6L High-Feature V-6 DI engine family. I guess it'd need a larger displacement, though, to be a Cadillac XTS-specific engine--still ought to be able to get high-20s EPA Highway mileage with more than 300 horsepower. Perhaps the new, high-feature V-8 engine will be ready by then? Oops! Another thing that hasn't really be admitted to just yet!

Unfortunately, it takes vehicle length to really develop vehicle "lines and shapes" as they should be. The new Camaro does a good job, as does the Corvette, but they seems to be the exception, leaving the front end of the vehicle to define it and the rear end to jut be there (usually one of GM's shortfallings over the past 10 years or so, by observation, except for the Camaro and Corvette.

I like Seals & Crofts. That particular song has a special meaning for me. When I was leaving Lubbock after graduating from Tech, as I got to the south edge of the Caprock, north of Post, TX . . . that song came on the radio. But I DID travel that way again, several times.

Enjoy!

NTX5467