Electrical 6 volt to 12 volt

Guest russang

Guest russang

Restoring a 1938 Pontiac, any suggestions in regard to updating to 12 volt particularly the starter motor, adding an alternator is fine as is renewing the wiring, help would be great. russ

If you look at the many posts on change over, I think that you will see most would tell you to keep it 6 volt and fix the wires and connections. There is more to going from 6 to 12 like the gauges, light bulbs, generator, voltage regulator, radio if equipped, etc, etc, etc. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Best of luck if you do go forward.

Guest russang

Thank you I have read them, but as the total wiring needs replacing and all the other issues spoken of in other posts like lights,dash etc need to be renewed anyway, the only issue is the starter, I will try to find a 12 v that can be adapted, thanks for your view, but an upgrade must be possible.

russang,

Repairing and/or replacing the wiring back to original condition will be easier and cheaper than converting it to 12 volts. "Improvements" or "Upgrades" are rarely better than restoration to original.

I agree with Larry for the most part having converted old Chevies from 6to 12 volt systems. You would have to replace all the light bulbs,generator and voltage regulator,coil the rest of the car will have to go through a volt-a-drop (ie)radio,gas sending unit,horn relay if you want the original horn sound. If the wiring is in good condition it will take the 12volt change fine. The starter, is up to you if the car is tuned and starts right up you can if you want, run the 6 volt starter but beware of long cranking periods as the 12 volts will heat up the starter to where it will melt the solder connections inside causing failure. The 12 volts into the 6 volt windings will cause the engine to turn over a lot quicker than the 6 volts did. I think the operative word in your question is RESTORING. If it came out of the factory with a 6 volt system then I'd restore the electrical system to it's original condition along with the car. Just my 2cents worth. Mark

Guest broker-bob

Been playing with old cars for 30 years----could never understand some one who wants to change a car from original------I understand a rod,,,,though not into the consept----but why not just replace the wire harness,,keep the generator,,,I put a 12 volt FM radio in glove box of my 36 plymouth just using a small device to up step the volts up works great keep them original

Restoring a 1938 Pontiac, any suggestions in regard to updating to 12 volt particularly the starter motor, adding an alternator is fine as is renewing the wiring, help would be great. russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say that you are restoring a 38 Pontiac. Restoring means renewing your car to stock. Changing to 12 Volts means modifying or altering your car from stock. Some people call this resto-mod. but the word resto means the same as modifying.

Don

Been playing with old cars for 30 years----could never understand some one who wants to change a car from original------I understand a rod,,,,though not into the consept----but why not just replace the wire harness,,keep the generator,,,I put a 12 volt FM radio in glove box of my 36 plymouth just using a small device to up step the volts up works great keep them original

Bob, I have to agree 100%. I get SOOO mad when someone starts spouting about converting old vehicles so they will be reliable!! If they were so bad why do you think they are still around for you to restore? Most vehicles got a bad rap because they were old, out of tune and badly worn or in need of service. I ran a 1936 Dodge everyday, winter and summer for 3 years in upstate NY in the early 1980's and NEVER experienced the non starting that the oldtimers told me they remembered. I keep it tuned up, and had good cables, wiring and clean grounds and the battery and starter were up to specs.

Howard Dennis

Bob, I have to agree 100%. I get SOOO mad when someone starts spouting about converting old vehicles so they will be reliable!! If they were so bad why do you think they are still around for you to restore? Most vehicles got a bad rap because they were old, out of tune and badly worn or in need of service. I ran a 1936 Dodge everyday, winter and summer for 3 years in upstate NY in the early 1980's and NEVER experienced the non starting that the oldtimers told me they remembered. I keep it tuned up, and had good cables, wiring and clean grounds and the battery and starter were up to specs.

Howard Dennis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see mega sound system/ and all the modern trappings as the possible reason. Just can't drive a car the way it was intended from the factory to be. Can't experience a car like it would be in 1938. Isn't that is the fun of this hobby to appreciate then, not now. If you want now go buy a Volt.

Don

I have driven my Pontiac since 1959 as a daily driver. (497,000 miles now on the odometer) In Manitoba in -40 F in Nevada in +108F. The only change that I made was to install a 6 volt alternator as the old three brush generator could not keep up with all my night driving in the winter, especially with 50/32 cp bulbs). I have never had any trouble starting the car in any of the extreme temperatures. I have a 6/12 volt inverter so I can run a radio and cd player. By the way except for a three inch splice from the main harness to the brake light switch all the wiring is the original cotton covered wire.

I would advise having the starter rewired for 12 v as well, as the impeller can slam into the ring gear damaging it. I agree on remaining original, but , it is easier to get 12v stuff of course. There is a company making alternators that look like original generators...I dare not ask the price.

Guest russang

Thank you all for advice and opinion. While i respect original, I have 80 stationary engines that are original and as a collector I respect history. Im not srouting about reliability, The wiring loom and every other electrical thing in the car is stuffed, been underwater. Asda a barn find it has no blinkers/radio or even tail lights. 6 volt stuff is almost impossible to get in Australia. Wound'nt even know where to get a 6 volt battery. as I will be rebuilding the car from the ground up, 12 volt will go in, I'll let you know how I go.

As engineers you should respect the flexability and availability of the material around us and utilise it.

And you have added what? You came here supposedly looking for help, 10 posters tried and your response is to blow us all off with:

"Wound'nt even know where to get a 6 volt battery. as I will be rebuilding the car from the ground up, 12 volt will go in, I'll let you know how I go.

As engineers you should respect the flexability and availability of the material around us and utilise it."

Seems your mind was made up already you just wanted to see if we knew any shortcuts. This group of people is about preserving and restoring cars as originally made by the manufacturer, not re-engineering with materials around us. I spent 5 minutes online and found 6 volt battery sales sites all over Australia.

Howard Dennis

If you dont grind the starter too long it should be ok with 12 volts as they are wound with heavier wire then 12 volt starters,I dont blame you for wanting 12 volts as its hard to find 6 volt bulbs around here so both of my 6 volt vehicles went to 12 volts. Put a 12 volt generator on it and nobody would know its been changed and I am thinking on going back to a generator on my 37 chevy p/u since it does not have any accessories that require much power and a generator looks better then a alternator.