What ever became of mapp gas?

Dave Henderson

Guest Jim_Edwards
I used mapp gas for years when I needed a flame hotter than propane's but lower than oxy/acet. All I can find now is a watered down version that isn't as hot, doesn't hack it. Can you still get it in your area? Has it been made unavailable perhaps for cya?

Just out of curiosity what are you attempting to do? I use a propane/oxygen rig when propane alone won't do and it will braze just about anything and even cut 1/16" thick metal quite well. The flame is hot enough you have to wear welding goggles or full blown face protection and arm protection when using it.

Jim

When I could get it around here it used to cost around $8 per cylinder. $5.83 seems to be a bargain price, but of course that is if you buy 12. I will look around in this area some more, home depot and sears hadn't been carrying it, only the less hot stuff. I don't braze with it, just use it for heatring applications when propane isn't enough. It is more portable and convenient than firing up the oxy/acet.

Guest Jim_Edwards
When I could get it around here it used to cost around $8 per cylinder. $5.83 seems to be a bargain price, but of course that is if you buy 12. I will look around in this area some more, home depot and sears hadn't been carrying it, only the less hot stuff. I don't braze with it, just use it for heatring applications when propane isn't enough. It is more portable and convenient than firing up the oxy/acet.

This is small enough to be portable and will definitely do just about any small job Mapp gas just can't get done. If 3600 degrees isn't hot enough, better grab the acetylene rig!

PRODUCTS

Just about any hardware store or places like Lowes and Home Depot should have this in stock. I've even seen them at some Wal*Mart stores.

FYI the reason you are unable to find the MAPP gas we have been use to is on 31 April 2008 the Petromont Varennes plant closed its methylacetylene/propadiene plant. They were the only North American plant making MAPP gas, and the only legal supplier of trademarked MAPP gas in the world.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

I have not seen any Mapp gas cylinders in any Philadelphia area stores for several years now !

A number of years ago a giant warehouse for a big retail store chain burned to the ground. Tens Of Millions $$$ were lost in this fire.

Several firefighters were also killed !

It was later traced to a new case of leaking Mapp gas cylinders !

Perhapps this is the reason that Mapp gas production in small cylinders was stopped in the USA ?

I suspect there were many law -suits filed as a result of this giant fire !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Dave H. How did you determen that the mapp is not what it was in the past,is it labled different?????????

There is no MAPP gas produced in this country as of April, 2008. There are similar gases available but they are not and cannot be legally labeled as MAPP gas unless marketed by or licensed by Petromont Varennes which owns the U.S. trademark.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle used Mapp gas for years also. I have use either acetylene or propane for years as Mapp was not that common here as it was where he lived.

This may clear up why the New MAPP gas is not like the old as Jim has said. Dandy Dave!

MAPP gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest Jim_Edwards
For what it is worth, JUST saw MAPP GAS at Sears.

Ben

The question is: Was what you saw actually labeled "MAPP" gas, or did you get suckered in with the yellow container? The "substitutes" are being packaged in containers with the familiar "yellow" the same as the old MAPP gas, they just have different labeling, though some vendors are using a "squatty" container.

Jim

Jim is right. The New "MAPP" gas is not the same as the old. It is a different mixture and does not work as well with bottled oxygen as in a cutting torch outfit. I've only used propane for cutting up scrap on large scale scraping operations. For gas welding, Brazing, or silver soldering, I have used Acetylene and Oxygen. Look it up in the link I posted and read what it say's near the bottom of the page. Dandy Dave!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Well, it WAS in the tall cylenders. But it did say MAPP. I will look again. There was oxygen beside it. ??????

Ben

Ben you may have stumbled onto a cache of old stock which I suspect is quite unusual. Personally, I haven't seen any of the "real" MAPP gas anywhere in over a year. But that got me to thinking there is a hardware store in the area that just might have a bottle or two of the "real" stuff. Gotta, check that out!

Jim