O.D. solenoid options

fred deagostino

Gents, I need to change from my 6v pos. gr. solenoid to a 12v neg. gr. It appears so far that my options are A: a new unit from Fifth Ave. Garage or, B: Have mine rebuilt and converted over by Pinto Electrics.

The rebuilt sounds like it will actually cost a bit more but I'm worried that the new units may be some flimsy 'almost right' import.

Your collective thoughts/experiences ? 'Thanks in advance!

Guest car crank

Have you though about using an electronic voltage reducer? That is what I did on my 48 Packard it has been on it for 2 years with no problems. It is a 20 amp 12 to 6 volt unit that Bill Dewey sells on eBay. You can check it out here.

Voltage Reducer Regulator 12 VOLTS to 6 VOLTS 20 AMPS - eBay (item 130476993710 end time Jan-28-11 19:35:43 PST)

Thanks for your response gents. From what I'm learning (?), that solenoid, pricey item that it is, needs consideration when converting voltage and polarity. My sources so far, as I'd mentioned are Pinto Electrics (phone), and Fifth Ave. Garage (website).

Both warn of burnout @ 12v, Pinto questions the change of polarity also. I'm going to check into the resistor that Carcrank mentions. Dope that I am, I went ahead and bought a 12v to 6v resistor but it only has a 6 amp rating and so will not throw in the solenoid. My solenoid draws 4.1A in the hold position but I don't know what the 'throw in' Amperage is since it happens too fast for the digital voltmeter to pick up. So, I gambled and lost on that one.

By the way, Fifth Ave.'s site is very good, with info. on correct lubricants for O.D. units, vintage engines, etc. Plus details on solenoid health. 'Well worth a look over. Stay tuned.........misery loves company!

yours in winter doldrums,

Fred

Thanks Coley, I will look into that too. I'm still exploring options. 'Still interested in that V reducer that Carcrank mentioned but I had a quick Question for Bill Dewey the supplier, and both his email addys get spit back so I'm a bit put off on score.

I'll check with Obsolete Chevy Parts for starters re: the solenoid. Thanks again! Fred