can you name it ?

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

An American auto maker proposed a car to compete with Corvett. In 1954 three wrere manufactured and the idea was droped. One of those three was sold at B.J. auction for $3,240,000. Name that car:)

1954 Oldsmobile F-88.

Anyone who watched the bidding will remember that it was between two bidders. The representative for the museum in Colorado (who bought the car) was very obnoxious, taunting the other bidder, daring him to make another bid. My opinion is that this behavior cost the buyer of the car another half million or more............

An American auto maker proposed a car to compete with Corvett. In 1954 three wrere manufactured and the idea was droped. One of those three was sold at B.J. auction for $3,240,000. Name that car:)

Chrysler Falcon? Actually, there was only one built and showed three different times and painted a different color for each show...red, black and silver.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks
There were a few from GM cars that resembled the Corvette theme.

Nomad , Pontiac , and the Olds. I think the Olds that went across the block was a gold one.

And don't forget the 54 Buick Wildcat II

Guest windjamer
:) David wins the imaginary bottle of Jonny Walker (no cigars, smoking is bad for your health) A club member brought the article in to our meeting last night. T he pic. was gold. looked a WHOLE lot like the early Vetts. Some folks got way to much aucky pucky:)

Guest windjamer
:) Doug,I was told there where three. The article a member brought in was about three maby four pages long. We where passing it around so I didnt get to read it all. Just the high lites. I may try to get a copy when I see him, I thought it was real interisting. I was told Olds dropped the idea so as to not hurt sales of the Corvett, go figure.We all know Olds was the guina pig for G.M. and as such, a step ahead.:D

Guest my3buicks

All the GM divisions had an experimental version of the Vette at the same time, Old's did not have an exclusive on this.

Buick's version

post-30591-143138417614_thumb.jpg

:) Doug,I was told there where three. The article a member brought in was about three maby four pages long. We where passing it around so I didnt get to read it all. Just the high lites. I may try to get a copy when I see him, I thought it was real interisting. I was told Olds dropped the idea so as to not hurt sales of the Corvett, go figure.We all know Olds was the guina pig for G.M. and as such, a step ahead.:D

Thanks Dick, I was too lazy to go look it up! :) I did get to thinking and maybe there were three, two were destroyed, and Mitchell ended up with one for awhile? I'll try and track that down over the weekend, there are so many stories about all those cars that I can never remember which thread went with what car!