What is this worth?

Guest Harry Connors

Guest Harry Connors

Folks that may be interested. Look what popped up on the German eBay. It is in Berlin, Germany. It is LINCOLN MODEL K V12 JUDKINS LWB 1939 eBay nr 320634656866 with a starting price of euro 17,000 and claims to have only 70 miles on it. He also has all of the lights and a new muffler for it.

At one time a person in Berlin wanted to trade me a 39 Lincoln Judkins for my 48 Continental Coupe but since I had no idea what a Judkins was I turned him down, it fact I did not even ask for photographs so I do not know if this is the same guy/car but it would be hard to believe there were two of these in Berlin.

Can anyone give me/us some information on this vehicle or the company that made it (Judkins Company, Mereimac, Mass)?

Harry

Harry, Judkins among other body makers supplied custom bodies for Lincolns and other classic cars during the 20's and 30's. Many different styles were offered. My record book shows that there were only 133 '39 K models produced but the serial numbers sequence shows 223 cars so I suspect that the extra number of cars may have been the few that were sold in 1940? There were 3 models of Judkin bodied cars. 2 ea of a model 415, 7 passenger limousine; 2 each of a model 417-A , 5 passender Berlin 2 window and 1 each of a model 417-B, 5 passenger Berlin 3 window. Most custom bodied K models were Willougby with a few Brunn and LeBarons. The long wheelbase car ( 145") could be any of the styles.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

I am not sure why the word "Scam" comes up so often when things are offered for sale in other coutries. I do LOTS of business with guys all over the world. You need to use caution when buying and selling at all times with all transactions no matter who or where they are. But the world is a very small place these days.

There are great car-guys in Germany just like they are here.

If ANYONE is interested in this Lincoln and wants a hands-on inspection of it done, I will bet there is a reliable person near the car that would go have a look...

Heck, I think I could find a guy with a few calls.

I have exported and imported cars for car guys all over Europe. I have met many great devoted collectors all over the world.

BUT----------- YES, I have ran into scammers as well....... Basic homework has kept me clear of becoming a victim.

Guest Harry Connors

Thanks for the replies. Since this is being offered by a registered Old Car dealer in Berlin who is quick to answer questions with detailed answers, I doubt that it is a scam. Here is the information on the car from the factory data plate: Style No. 417 A; Body No. 5 12887. From the photographs on eBay it looks like the cloth top is gone, it has the wind up divider window and looks like it has spent some time outside. My Continental has just received a new wiring harness, all of the welding and body work done with a new interior being installed. I am not sure I could stand another project like the Judkins as I also have the restoration of a Sd Kfz 222 ongoing. Besides while I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, for this beholder the Judkins is ugly compared to the Continental. I never buy an old car for its possible value but only if I like it or not which is why I never seem to sell any of my toys or make money when I do. Harry

CHEERS TO YOU HARRY!! I PREFER THE CONTINENTALS AS WELL!! There are also many

in our hobby just to make a quick buck, many who read these forums with only $$$ interest..The large "classic" Lincolns have always had much respect, our little v-12s not as quick to provide financial gain..so they were left for us hobbyists to cherish ..

Guest Harry Connors

Not yet, my upholsterer and I are having a discussion on it. He feels that a car like the Continental should have all leather interior in it instead of the cloth leather mix. It is not a matter of cost as he will do both for the same price, I just cannot decide if I should let him do it or not. He did my 41 Mercedes Open Touring car and it is beautiful but all leather was not correct for my car. He has the headliner in and was preparing the metal work and redoing the springs when Mr. Winter decided to dump on us. We have had only three days since the Thanksgiving weekend when it has not snowed and now the temps are in the low 20's (F) so nothing is being done right now. Plus I went and missed some steps and messed up the shoulder so he went home to his relatives in Poland for a couple of months so it will be at least February before work can start again. I had to hold off on finishing up the interior anyway as I have to finish replacing the rocker arms and I also found a rusted out piece under the chrome trim between the rear of the roof and the body. The guy who did the car before loved body putty and tape. Harry