1951 buick power steering

Guest oldautoman

I have seen a early 50s Buick with power steering in a junkyard so it was available,I should of grabbed it as it most likely got crushed when the yard closed and was the only Buick with a straight 8 I ever seen with that option. Since the Buick is very similar to the Olds you might look there for the p/s since I seen way more 50s olds with those options then I have with Buicks of that era,I had a few 50s Olds and never paid much attention to Buicks but if the Olds had those options the Buicks should too so its time for a trip to a older junkyard if you have any in where you live. If you want late model parts you might look in the Buick only area of this forum as I think they have a modified section as most that hang out here like them original.

You probably don't need power steering. When those cars were new old ladies and grannies drove them with no trouble.

Have the front end checked by a good mechanic. Repair or replace worn parts. Fill the shocks with knee action fluid, hydraulic jack oil or motorcycle fork oil. Now have an alignment done. I have suggested this to other owners of early fifties cars with gratifying results. The car drove so easily and handled so well it took away all desire for power steering.

For extra easy steering you could install a steering damper and have the alignment man set the caster to 0 or as close to it as he can get. Steering dampers are available from the leading shock absorber companies. Without caster you need a damper to prevent shimmy. German cars such as BMW, Mercedes and VW were set up this way for years, it is the secret of their precise steering. Chev tried the same trick on their Monte Carlo in the early 70s.

Finally pump up your tires to 32 PSI.

For power brakes you could install a Hydrovac unit. This was an add on unit fitted to Cadillac Buick and other heavy cars and trucks in the fifties. It is a remote power brake unit and does not require replacing the original master cylinder. Such boosters are still being made and are popular on hot rods.