Rocket V8 engine parts interchange

Guest N43

If this has already been answered, please direct me to the right place. The searches I have run did not locate answers. It's posted on the Classic Olds forums, too.

I have a choked up '50 303 that is said to be virtually the same block as a 324 and 371. The stick shift drivetrain is supposedly borrowed from Cadillac and unique to 1950.

How much oversize is it safe to bore out a 303?

What are issues to retrofit 324 or 371 heads and carb setups or is it even feasible? Some say it's a drop-in, others say bolt patterns, etc are different.

Many thanks in advance.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

You need to find an Olds expert for this. But the Olds motors were among the most rugged ever built. In the old days hot rodders used to bore the blocks 1/4" oversize that is .25". You don't need to worry about hitting water in any normal rebuild.

The 1949 to 56 was one family, the 57-58 another, and the 59-64 another. In 65 they came out with a brand new engine that had nothing in common with the old one except a few dimensions.

It was common to bore a 303 to take 324 pistons, use 324 heads, manifolds etc for a mild hop up. It was also possible to bolt a newer more powerful engine into the light weight 1950 88 body. I have a vague recollection that the early models like yours had the bellhousing cast into the back of the block and this was changed at some point but don't recall the details.

The Olds Rocket was one of the most popular in the early days of hot rodding, before the Chev V8 came along. Speed equipment for this engine is still easy to find.

I'm sure if you do a web search you will find plenty of info.

Suffice to say a 1950 Olds 88 with stick shift and a mild hop up would be one of the coolest cars around, and not very difficult to pull off.

One detail that can trip you up. The stick shift crankshafts are drilled to take a bushing for the transmission shaft, some auto trans crankshafts omit this detail. But some auto trans engines have the bushing. It's not too hard to machine the crank while it is out of the engine if you remember to check it.

Guest Jim_Edwards
If this has already been answered, please direct me to the right place. The searches I have run did not locate answers. It's posted on the Classic Olds forums, too.

I have a choked up '50 303 that is said to be virtually the same block as a 324 and 371. The stick shift drivetrain is supposedly borrowed from Cadillac and unique to 1950.

How much oversize is it safe to bore out a 303?

What are issues to retrofit 324 or 371 heads and carb setups or is it even feasible? Some say it's a drop-in, others say bolt patterns, etc are different.

Many thanks in advance.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

The basic block design of the Olds engine from 1949-1965 is basically the same, but that is just about where interchanging anything begins and ends as there were changes made about every two years along the way. I can say for certain 324 and 371 heads do not fit as a "drop in" without machining the push rod openings, and there may be other issues, which means the intakes from the later engines will likely not fit a 303 either.

As for boring out; a 303 can probably be safely bored .080 over, but why? These days finding seriously over size pistons and rings could be a considerable challenge. There are plenty of 371 and 394 engines around with 4bbl intakes for less than what it would cost to bore out a 303 for any reason. There are also plenty of 3sp trannys around that will bolt right up to a 371 or 394.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Thanks for the feedback. The engines made for Hydramatics have an "H" suffix that my 303 does not have. The tranny supposedly has been bolted up to a 371 in the past.

BTW, Costco was selling a DVD of stock car racers and the cover had (I believe) Richard Petty in a '57 Olds.

Guest Jim_Edwards

Why does this look awfully familiar to me?

This is a 303 rocket fresh out of a 1950 oldsmobile that had a manual transmssion. The car has sat for a long time but the engine turns over just fine. The number on back of block is 555641. I am listing the cadillac/ lasalle trans in a seperate auction. From what I found 1950 was a one year only where oldsmobile used a cadillac/lasalle side shift manual trans . Please do your own research and check out other auction if interested. Engine will be pick up only unless you make all arangements for shipping. Feel free to call with any questions. (phone # removed)

http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-oldsmobile-complete-303-engine-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa68b7033QQitemZ320621735987QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They are probably not the same. I have had the items since August and they were never mated. The seller was planning to convert a Hydramatic car and bought a completed 98 hardtop instead. Thanks.

The basic block design of the Olds engine from 1949-1965 is basically the same,

To clarify, the first gen Olds V8 was built from 1949 to 1964. The 1964 394 was the last production version of this family. The new thinwall V8 family was introduced in 1964 as the 330 (production overlapped for one year). In 1965 the 330 architecture was grown (primarily with taller deck height to accommodate the longer stroke) to the 425 that replaced the first gen 394 in the full size cars.