Can you ID the phaeton in this old photo?

db34

I don't know yet what this is but I reckon it dates from around 1916-17. The only really differing feature is the portholes in the rear quarters of the top.

There has been comment lately about the double white wall tyres on some of the cars of this era. This was about the time that they started to produce black tyres by adding carbon into the mix. I wonder if these white walls are actually 'not much black' tyres. In other words maybe they only added the black to the tread area of the mould so that most of the tyre still came out white - as most tyres were at that time.

You could be right about the Haynes i.d.. I am not sure if the emblem is short and white like the GRAY emblem with a reflection under it or if it is indeed the two tone Haynes emblem. It DOES have an awful lot of things that look to be Haynes.

post-37352-143138371661_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I have just looked in my copy of The Standard Catalog and a very similar picture - from the other side but obviously taken at the same shoot with the same models - is in there captioned as a 1917 Haynes Light Twelve touring. I am fairly sure this model used the same Weideley V12 engine as Pathfinder and some others did. An aquaintance of mine was in the UK a few years ago and visited the Haynes Motor Museum (no relation - just a coincidental name) and they had recently acquired a Haynes Light Twelve Cloverleaf Roadster from a museum in the US.

• 10 years later...

The car has a bunch of interesting clues that point towards manufacture in Cleveland. Bumper, doors and trim, windshield. It’s an expensive car when new........possibly a Stearns or Peerless? Neat photo.