442 strips

Guest rcjrlc

I have a 1971 442 convertable does anyone know where to get a stencil kit for the w-29 strips have found serval for the w-30 I need the side stencil

Have you tried Phoenix Graphics? They have an on-line site with listings of what they have available.

Many of those graphics were decals not painted. When you refer to a stencil I'm thinking you want paint ons.

Either way I would start with them, it's what they do.

Good luck

The site also states if you don't see what you need CALL.

post-60266-143138364053_thumb.jpg

Edited by msmazcol (see edit history)

have called Phoenix Graphics, year one, original parts group, the parts place. All say they have it for the w-30 but do not have the side pieces for the w-29 have the hood an trunk but not the sides.

At a recent Olds Club of America national meet, it was observed that the side stripes on most Custlasses of that vintage are NOT all the same . . . at least as they were interpreted by their owners or paint shops that painted them on. Some looked reasonably accurate but others were noticeably narrower or wider than they should have been. I also need to state that I don't know specifically what "W-29" stripes are, but I presume they are the side stripes which were on the lower sides of the car, front to back. It was mentioned that we were seeing these significant variations as those particular stripes were not in repro.

Somewhere, deep in the Olds archives might be some specs for the correct width and placement of the stripes on the side of the car. Possibly in some Olds service manuals or body manuals? Or possibly if there are some Assembly Manuals for those cars (as there are for many Chevy vehicles) out there somewhere?

Perhaps you might desire to post this question in the Olds-specific forums hosted on this website. You might have better luck there or with the Olds Club of America itself.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I have a 442 that I have parted out has never been painted still has most of the original stripes on it am going to get the measurement off of it an go from there. as far as I can find the w-30 442 stripes is all the reproduce the hood an trunk will work but the stripes down the sides are wider. Thanks Randal

I would just hire a painter and stripe it and forget about the real vinyl stripes. If you cannot find them, what other alternative do you have? A friend of mine just had two big, fat stripes added to his newer Mustang and you cannot tell them from vinyl. It looks GREAT! I would also add that you should not use "new old stock" vinyl stripes if you find them. They probably have shrunk.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I would just hire a painter and stripe it and forget about the real vinyl stripes. If you cannot find them, what other alternative do you have? A friend of mine just had two big, fat stripes added to his newer Mustang and you cannot tell them from vinyl. It looks GREAT! I would also add that you should not use "new old stock" vinyl stripes if you find them. They probably have shrunk.

The factory stripes ARE paint, not vinyl. I thought he was asking about templates for the paint. Phoenix Graphics sells the templates for the hood (it is the same as the W-30 hood stripes). The dimensions for the side stripes should be in the Assembly Manual.

The factory stripes ARE paint, not vinyl. I thought he was asking about templates for the paint. Phoenix Graphics sells the templates for the hood (it is the same as the W-30 hood stripes). The dimensions for the side stripes should be in the Assembly Manual.

Well....there you go!