Getting the MOST for a 1985 Ford LTD

1937hd45

I have nothing to offer as far as resale but as far as plain janes and their place in the hobby, I do have an anecdote. At Louisville this year I was going over to look at the gorgeous Delorean in the 80's production cars and became captivated by the plainest, cleanest little (I think) Pontiac 2000. A four door like the cavalier, the car had no chrome, vinyl and polyester interior, an am'fm radio and cheap plastic wheel covers. It totally brought me back to high school. I never owned or remember one being signifigant in my past but that day, that car, lovingly detailed and nearly flawless, captured my imagination. Blondie sang in my head and I could almost experience again the angst, frustration and wonder of an earlier time - the early 80s! As far as the car goes, Sell it inside the hobby for the lowest price you can afford. what better way to promote the hobby you love than to find that right young person -be they10 or 50 that could love this car - forget the profit. Who knows, this could be the first antique car story of a future restorer, AACA judge or the guy that organizes the old car show for the local charity. I know altruism can be a less than becoming trait :cool:, but it makes good stories.

Are the Ford LTD's, And the Mercury Grand Marque built from the same chassies? I have an 85 M-GM that is my mothers car and she is no longer driving. Thinking about selling it as there is no inside storage for it. With that said it is sometimes hard to let go of a family member. It has a bazzillion miles but is still a solid old car for its age because she never drove it on wet salty roads. Sluggish on hills. Needs a good home, but I don't want her to see it driving in the neighborhood as she has Alzimers and may run off with it, or report it stollen if she remembers what to say when the police answer the phone. Better to have it far enough away that it does not taunt her. Right now it is stored outside at my brothers place so she cannot ride off in it and get lost. I had to trailer it home from Connecticut this past summer because she could not find her way back. It is now off of the road. Even though the Doctor said she is not to drive anymore, she still insists that she is going to drive and does not remember the doctor saying that. Also she says she will move off with family in Connecticut. The problem is that the family in Connecticut are up in age and cannot deal with her as they have problems of their own.

My heart says keep it, and my head says get rid of it as it will fall apart sitting outside as the car was always garaged until recently. It is that classic old car salesmens line for real. One owner, Driven to church on Sunday, The grocery store weekly weather permitting. And to the Park on nice days. Dandy Dave!

Yes the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car are all the same platform.

If you have the space, keep the car.

Thanks ex98thdrill, I thought so, I don't have the inside space it deserves. the car is loaded with every bell and whistle you can think of. I guess it would be best to just pass it on to someone who will give it a good home. Dandy Dave!

Guest Jim_Edwards
Yes the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Car are all the same platform.

If you have the space, keep the car.

Yup, all three are based upon Ford's Panther chassis first introduced in 1979. Though having many modifications over the years the Panther chassis endured through the 2010 model year with Lincoln Town Cars. I don't think any other chassis design by any automaker anywhere, aside from the VW Beetle, was ever in production for 31 years.

Jim