Getting the MOST for a 1985 Ford LTD

1937hd45

I need your advice for getting the MOST I CAN for a second owner 1985 Ford Crown Victoria Fordor. Two tone blue, V8 Automatic, air etc. What are the rare high demand items I need to mention, do matching numbers help boost its value? We had planned to show it at Hershey, but just ran out of time. Tips and advice are most welcomed. :)

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Just make sure you use the word "CLASSIC" in your ad. That's sure to generate unbridled excitiement and enthusiasm for your car.

I forgot, does 1985 still have throttle body fuel injection, or was that the first year for the aluminum plenum chamber on top of the engine?

A Crown Vic? Hell, there's only one group of people who want those anymore--guys like me who always wanted a police car. How about something along these lines:

"It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

bluesbros.jpg

Or maybe call it the "last of the V8 Inteceptors..."

ford_interceptor_actf34_fe_1_717.jpg

I'd go with ebay. I have sold a few vehicles that way. Even with all of the changes in the ebay format, you will still get the most exposure from that venue. You may get a couple of hundred on the "Crown Vic" site or "craigslist", but with ebay, MILLIONS of people will see and one of them (or hopefully two or three) may want that car. You get two guys or more that want it and the fight is on!

Guest Silverghost

The Taxi cab guys still love these cars in Philly !

They are always looking for good clean solid big four doors like the LTD & Chevy Caprice.

Easy to repair~

Easy to find parts~

As for it's real collector car value ~

Who Knows ???

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

...and as long as they pay a great price for it........then it's next life is of no concern....reminds me of Hershey, had a pair of large rear fenders, found out later that they were late 30's GMC truck.....guy was buying them at my price, glad to get rid of them, I asked what are you using them on? He said he'd rather not tell me....ah, c'mon. A hot rod he mumbled......oh well, would rather find someone who needed them, but hard to do when you don't know what they are......

Guest billybird

I would stress something you've already said: AACA READY. I would also stress that the car would be a GREAT touring vehiclle. A lot of poeple like a big, comfortable, well equiped car to tour. Probably would have the best luck moving it within the AACA community.

Simply indicate that the car was once owned by J.B. Wilson lll, second cousin to someone somehow related to Katherine Hepburn (she was a resident of CT, after all), and she rode in it once, although the documentation is spotty, no doubt you can promise that it is true. So the car has celeberty ties, automatically quadrupling it's value.

While some are poking fun at an '85 Crown Vic, as a "modern antique" it sounds like a great tour car or a good "first car" car for someone to enter the antique car hobby and enjoy the fun. Not everyone can own an Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg. I hope it finds a good home.

I agree. While a 1985 Crown Vic is of no interest to me, I get tired of the attitude that anything from the 1970's or later is just "used junk". I saw a 1978 Chevy Nova 4 door in a boring tan with tan plaid seats and straight 6 at a car show one time. I thought who would bring such a boring crappy car to a car show? A while later a saw a kid that barely looked old enough to drive proudly polishing and detailing it with a whole bucket full of supplies. I felt like a complete jerk after seeing how happy and proud he was of it. Even though I never said anything out loud about it.

A 1985 Crown Vic is indeed AACA show ready at 25 years old. Remember even a Duesenberg was "used junk" at one time. I see no need to make fun of a car that might make someone happy and get them into the hobby, even if it is not to your personal taste.

I have a friend of mine that has a plain jane Pontiac Tempest that belonged to his grandmother. He is so proud of that car and he takes it to car shows to be part of the experience.

Pretty much the same story with the car that took center stage in the painting for the 2010 Hershey Meet poster.

The car in the center belongs to a mutual friend of West's and mine, William M. (Bill) Davis of Charleston, W. Va. It was his mother's car which he had restored. As a matter of fact, three of the cars on that poster belong to Bill.

They sit among his collection of Rolls Royces and Bentleys in the building where he keeps them. There is also a Corvair there that he fell in love with and bought by knocking on the owner's door and offering to buy it. :)

Even an ugly puppy needs a loving home. :rolleyes:

Yes, you have to be careful about what you say about a car at a show, and to who. Hershey once, on the flea market field, and a few rows back had seen a little Maxwell. large group of guys standing there, my buddy and I walk up. One of the guys starts talking to me, and asks what I'm working on. "Oh, just a little Model 20 Hupmobile, cute car, not lots of power, but a lot better than that p**s-f**t Maxwell that's sitting over there. Eyes wide, he stares at me. "You mean MY p**s-f**t Maxwell???" Oops.....

The Taxi cab guys still love these cars in Philly !

They are always looking for good clean solid big four doors ike the LTD & Chevy Caprice.

Easy to repair~

Easy to find parts~

Don't laugh, for several years when the county has their auction, a guy has been coming up from New York city with a car carrier and buying up most of the patrol cars. It is very seldom that one of our local patrol cars stays local.

It has been said that the guy who buys the cars up turns them into NYC taxis. All I know is it is very seldom that this guy doesn't roll out of our auction with a full load of Ford Crown Victorias.

Guest billybird

Nothing like a big ole helping of foot to humble a fellow. Just the other night I was in a church {not mine } and there was a young boy playing the electric guitar quite well; however I didn't care for the "funk" mode he had the amp on. I started to lean over and tell the guy next to me how I hated that mode, but I thought better of it and kept quiet. In a few minutes the guy leans over and tells me that was his Grandson and how proud he was of him. Close call. I'm learning every day to keep my mouth shut more.

My youngest son (23) loves old Crown Vics! That is all he buys. He says they are the best car ever built. I agree they are an awesome car, but I think his attachment is from riding in them in the back seat to much with the local PD, when he was younger.

Don't laugh, for several years when the county has their auction, a guy has been coming up from New York city with a car carrier and buying up most of the patrol cars. It is very seldom that one of our local patrol cars stays local.

It has been said that the guy who buys the cars up turns them into NYC taxis. All I know is it is very seldom that this guy doesn't roll out of our auction with a full load of Ford Crown Victorias.

I am surprised that NYC allows this. In Chicago, any taxi or limo must be less than 6 years old or they are not allowed to be licensed. The reasoning is this is supposed to keep old beat up ones from breaking down and blocking traffic. But they can be older in the suburbs.

I am surprised that NYC allows this. In Chicago, any taxi or limo must be less than 6 years old or they are not allowed to be licensed. The reasoning is this is supposed to keep old beat up ones from breaking down and blocking traffic. But they can be older in the suburbs.
Our cars go to auction after 4 years.

No, not me, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this end of the "collector" hobby. The more I know as a seller the more I believe I'll be able to pass on to the future buyer. There is no connection to Miss Hepburn, but Robert Vaughn did park his 1961 Lincoln next to it in front of the hardware store once. The car has a new gas tank, and a trailer hitch. :)

Bob, Iam guessing here. Is your tongue somewhat in your cheek with this post?;) Can't even figure out how you typed a post about a post-war car. Did it give you hives?:D If you are seriously trying to sell it you know more than most guys how to do that!

Guest Silverghost

I was not kidding, or in any way making fun of your great Ford LTD when I suggested the possible sale to a Taxi fleet !

These were, and are great road cars.

The Taxi fleet owners are having a hard time replacing the LTD and Caprice cars that once made-up the bulk of their fleets.

There are no cars built like them today !

They are also simple and cheap to maintain.

At one time many LTD and Caprice cars were being shipped to the middle east also !

It would be great to see a true car collector buy and love this car !

This would make for a very happy ending ideed !

In reality~

Today the Taxi fleets are the biggest buyes of these cars.!

That's just a fact~

I am surprised that NYC allows this. In Chicago, any taxi or limo must be less than 6 years old or they are not allowed to be licensed.

NYC TLC mandates that all NYC Medallion taxis be brand-new when placed in service, and mandatorily retired at 36 months if double-shifted (given that the medallion costs about $600K, most are) and 60 months if run on single-shift duty. There are service lifetime extensions granted for handicapped-accessible, CNG conversions, hybrids and whatnot to defray the higher costs of these vehicles for up to an additional 24 months.

I agree. While a 1985 Crown Vic is of no interest to me, I get tired of the attitude that anything from the 1970's or later is just "used junk". I saw a 1978 Chevy Nova 4 door in a boring tan with tan plaid seats and straight 6 at a car show one time. I thought who would bring such a boring crappy car to a car show? A while later a saw a kid that barely looked old enough to drive proudly polishing and detailing it with a whole bucket full of supplies. I felt like a complete jerk after seeing how happy and proud he was of it. Even though I never said anything out loud about it.

A 1985 Crown Vic is indeed AACA show ready at 25 years old. Remember even a Duesenberg was "used junk" at one time. I see no need to make fun of a car that might make someone happy and get them into the hobby, even if it is not to your personal taste.

Don't ever knock a mid 70's Nova 6 Cylinder boring 4 door. I've had 4 of them and loved everyone. One of the toughest and most reliable cars I ever owned. To bad they fell apart from rust-itis as when I got rid of them they still ran and drove. I would buy another right now today if I could find one that was clean and original. I would not be ashamed to take it to a show as it would bring a lot of memories to those who had one. After all, isn't that the real reason shows and collecting was started. Thanks for the memories.... :) Dandy Dave!

There were a couple of nice 80's Crown Vics for sale at Hershey. One was an '85 (I think), two tone grey, grey velour interior, around 50K miles for $5500. The other was a two tone yellow and creme, with 19K miles, with a very high price. Don't remember now. It was a beautiful car but it had the variable venturi carb on it. I had an LTD back in the late 80's, and even then, no one would work on it with that carb and it was one reason I got rid of the car.

Are the Ford LTD's, And the Mercury Grand Marque built from the same chassies? I have an 85 M-GM that is my mothers car and she is no longer driving. Thinking about selling it as there is no inside storage for it. With that said it is sometimes hard to let go of a family member. It has a bazzillion miles but is still a solid old car for its age because she never drove it on wet salty roads. Sluggish on hills. Needs a good home, but I don't want her to see it driving in the neighborhood as she has Alzimers and may run off with it, or report it stollen if she remembers what to say when the police answer the phone. Better to have it far enough away that it does not taunt her. Right now it is stored outside at my brothers place so she cannot ride off in it and get lost. I had to trailer it home from Connecticut this past summer because she could not find her way back. It is now off of the road. Even though the Doctor said she is not to drive anymore, she still insists that she is going to drive and does not remember the doctor saying that. Also she says she will move off with family in Connecticut. The problem is that the family in Connecticut are up in age and cannot deal with her as they have problems of their own.

My heart says keep it, and my head says get rid of it as it will fall apart sitting outside as the car was always garaged until recently. It is that classic old car salesmens line for real. One owner, Driven to church on Sunday, The grocery store weekly weather permitting. And to the Park on nice days. Dandy Dave!