63 Console plate

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Can someone with a '63 take some measurements of the different sections of the console cover plate (the plate with the ashtray and the 2 knobs) and can anyone confirm that it will physically fit on a 64-65 console? Going to be customizing mine and instead of cutting the center out of my stocker and milling a plate to fill it, a 63 is closer to the final product and result in less machine work on a filler plate.

Thanks,

I assume you want inside to insde the reveal, or the actual insert. If you need out to out I will remeasure, but these are inside to inside of the insert itself. Top piece with two holes (for lights and wipers) is 9 3/8" on the top and 8 1/8" on the bottom. Vertical in the center is 2 1/2", or 2 9/16" along the sloped edges. Ashtray cover is 7 7/8" along the top, 6 3/8" along the bottom, and 3" vertically in the center, or 3 1/8" along the slope. It you need the other, let me know.

post-53315-143138349967_thumb.jpg

Ashtray door hinges up at the top. I have removed the ashtray and hide my air controls in this slot. Looks stock closed. The piece below the ashtray is one piece with the shifter and indicator. The chrome piece that forms the reveal is one pice, top to bottom. Maybe these pictures will help.

post-53315-143138349994_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143138349998_thumb.jpg

Edited by steelman
added note (see edit history)

I have all of the loose pieces for all three years. And the console has been disassmbled in my '64. Within the next couple of days, I'll set up the '63 face plate on the '64 console and take some pictures.

The '65 console is not the same as the '63/'64. Because the shifter has detents for PRND2L, it's a little longer than the other two. If needed, I can take some pictures of those parts side by side as well. (Please, no tire kickers :rolleyes:)

Ed

PS - CTX-SLPR, have you joined the ROA yet?

Member 9790, been a member off and on since 2001.

I've got a 94-96 Roadmaster automatic climate control setup that I'm going to be integrating into the stock console but don't feel like taking the entire center section out of the '64 stock unit then milling down a 1/4in plate to make up the difference and eliminate the stock hole for the HVAC control head. Also thinking about turning the '63 ashtray into a cupholder.

Here are some side by side photos of the 63 and 64 console pieces. The '63 has a few more mounting studs than the 64 and the configuration at the top edge is somewhat different, but from what I can tell, they should swap. Mounting studs on the '63 plate are in the exact same position as mounting holes on the '64 plate.

I couldn't overlay the entire '63 plate on my '64 console, because the one piece is still on the console and I'm not ready to totally remove the entire console yet.

Sorry about the ROA question, I was thinking of someone else; my apologies.

Ed

Perfect Steelman! I'm thinking milling out the whole panel where the switches are and then putting in an aluminum plate with the 8x2.25 in climate control head in there. With so little room I'm thinking leaving that section black even though the rest of the console will be wood. Photoshop results tonight!

Just noticed, I have the same keychain, mine's from Powertour though. Air ride is down the road a bit.

Edited by CTX-SLPR (see edit history)

Here it is cobled together using your pictures, my pictures, and some eBay images.

Did up 3 versions, my interior is a black and white factory combo so the console itself is black.

Version 1: Simple mill a hole and sorround it with black plastic looking material

Version 2: Same idea with wood sorrounding the climate control head

Version 3: Makes the assumption that you can get face of the unit off and I could make 1 piece face out of plastic or aluminum and get it a single colour.

post-59921-143138352914_thumb.jpg

post-59921-143138352919_thumb.jpg

post-59921-143138352924_thumb.jpg

All look good, but 3 is best, in my opinion. Just to expand on your thought of making a new face plate, I see two other options. First, cover the new plate with a wood grain vinyl to match the console. Second, make the new face plate out of real mahogany and finish it to match the console. Might be worth a photoshop look just to see. Could be a lot of work, but you haven't done anything easy on this ride.

That will look nice, I got to ask, what kind of AC/ Heat are you putting in your Riv ?

How are you dealing with the multiples of vacume hoses with the new head ?

The HVAC system is stock except for a Sanden compressor to replace the R4 on the Turbo6 for suspension clearance. The plan is to match up the functions of the C68 Roadmaster climate control vacuum control block with the right solenoids on the stock system. I've already converted to vacuum heater valve.
All look good, but 3 is best, in my opinion. Just to expand on your thought of making a new face plate, I see two other options. First, cover the new plate with a wood grain vinyl to match the console. Second, make the new face plate out of real mahogany and finish it to match the console. Might be worth a photoshop look just to see. Could be a lot of work, but you haven't done anything easy on this ride.
Fairly easy to try the wood face (I just confirmed it's easy to get the face off of the C68 head) in photoshop. Would consider the wood but I think it would look funky. Might take a hybrid of the two ideas and machine a piece with a "rim" on it sorrounding the control area and put wood around that. I'd also make new buttons out of aluminum to mimic the style of the original system but that's getting quite extensive so I'd probably either make a blank plate and cover it this time around or do the "rim" idea then make the buttons later.

• 1 year later...

Pretty low on the priority list right now. A 2yr old and another due in the next month really means I have enough time to do real basic projects on all my vehicles rather than major upgrades. I've still got all the parts (well I don't have an ashtray door for the '63 console piece) and diagrams so it's still on the list.

I might however go back to the 64 control head because I'm having a lot of trouble getting the '65 head to not leak vacuum.