should I buy 1916 Model 44

fordmerc

What chance of finding parts for a 1916 Model 44? I have a chance to get the car but it lacks a few parts on the engine and body. With models, some of these parts might be made.

Comments appreciated; any suggested sources will be pursued.

Is there a source that might describe possible interchanges among Oldsmobiles of that era or other cars?

Parts for these cars are not common at all but a lot of them are still out there somewhere. Which parts are you missing? I have a roadster and know of two others. The search for parts is part of the fun. It really depends on how you look at it. Post us on some of the other details. If you get it me and at least one other person are ready to help you in any way we can. It is probably not a good project for the faint hearted. Most of the body parts are the same as the model 43. The v8 are made up into the twenties. Keep the questions coming.

Edited by nickelroadster (see edit history)

What I know to be missing are a fan, the shaft to which the fan attaches, the shaft for the distributor and maybe part of the exhaust manifold.(I'm not sure what all is in the box) There are also only 2 tire rims. I'm sure there's a lot more. This is a touring car and the top is missing. The last item of concern is the radiator shell which has a dent in it. I don't know what kind of expertise will be needed to repair it but it is a cosmetic item of concern.

Let me get started here. The fan should be available somewhere. One curious fact is that both two blade and three bade fans were used in 1916. The motor is made by Northway and they made engines for a number of cars. I'm sure that even while waiting to find a correct fan, if that proves to be slow, it should be fairly easy to rig something up that works well. The distributor is a delco model used by many makes. This also should not be impossible. An exhaust manifold might be pretty tough to find but if worse comes to worse, a new one could be cast. Rims are Baker demountable and were used on many cars. There isn't anything like a "source book" available for these cars. You just have to go through any sources that you can find and get to know as many people with these cars as you can. As I said before, you really have to enjoy the challange of working on a car like this. You can't just sit down and order everything from a catalog to restore your car like you can with a Model T or even a Buick. I can't judge your skill or dedication level, only you can do that. The model 44s and 45s are very neat and interesting cars that are sort of under the radar for a lot of people but thats why I like them. Any more questions?

Nickelroadster

Post some pictures if you can!

After thinking about your questions a little more, I thought I'd mention a couple of things. The exhaust manifolds are one with the intake manifolds. It would be really easy to mistake the single exhaust header which lays across the block and which there is only one with an exhuast manifold. If what you are looking at has two opening than that is what it is and you are not missing one.

The distributor shaft is only about three inches long. It sits in a little right angle gear box that attaches to the generator and contains the shaft that the fan is attached to. Some of this may be a little different than what you are used to. I have a whole lot of literature that I can get copied if you need it. I would still like to see some pictures and I bet other people would too.